Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-04-2012, 02:41 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Treadlies...

Or for the non Aussies out there, bicycles...particularly of the folding variety.

Do you carry bicycles on board?
As with most cruising sailors, I don't want to waste money. I have been looking at folding bikes and wonder if they are as practical and worthwhile an inclusion as they seem to be.

There are geared and fixed sprocket models, big and small wheels, conventional and distinctly odd looking machines and plenty of glossy pix and adverts which extol the virtues of dockside life with two wheeled transport.

I'm looking for practical advice from current and past users...or for advice from those who have considered the purchase of a treadly, but have subsequently decided against it.

Bear in mind the new boat is just 37' long.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

We've got a Dahon folding bike and a regular bike. Have to take the wheels and handlebars off the regular bike to store it aboard and it really doesn't fit well in a dingy. Our Dahon is a 6 speed bike (boardwalk version I think) and it's not the stainless steel "mariner" version (which costs more) so we've got to be careful to wipe down the salt spray and all. The bike is great and well worth having. It fits in the dingy (folded) and fits in the boat folded. It's a sort of squarish thing though when folded so you'll lose a good portion of your pilot berth or something to it. There are smaller ones but ours is pretty sturdy and useful.

While you're in Mexico, you'll be able to walk or catch a taxi where you'd like to go. If you visit the USA, you REALLY want a bike because things are too far for walking from the harbor or anchorage.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
Admiral

Thank you B. Good advice as always.
I just received the latest Cruising World in the mail with an ad for a weird looking bike. Has anyone ever tried one of these things?
CarryMe USA Compact folding bikes. Light to carry, fun to ride

Old 08-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #4

Those are the sort of really compact ones I've seen on some other cruiser's boats. They must be popular. However, unless you really cannot fit anything else in, I would think it is a mistake to have a bike with such tiny wheels--you'll be working very hard for the few miles you'll be able to ride it. It is great for commuters who want to carry the bike on the train and ride on either end of the commute. We see a lot of that here in the San Francisco Bay area.

I note they don't tell you the wheel diameter on the site for the particular bike. When we were searching for a folding bike, we wanted a bike that could really go places. The average distance we've ended up wanting to ride it is usually more than 5 miles. When anchorage hopping in San Diego and moving a car around the metro area for the "next" spot for a bit, it is pretty common that hubby was riding ours 15 to 25 miles.
We read something in a biking magazine about how one shouldn't go too small with the wheels--and I think the mag may have specified that anything smaller than 20" was too small. A bike such as ours has 20" wheels--they're small but not so small that you can't make good time for your effort. We've had our bike since about 2004--purchased it to use with commuting around town (DC at that time) rather than using a full size bike. I note that the updated version of ours is now a 7 speed on the Dahon site. Boardwalk D7 | Dahon Global

Some cruisers do manage to stow a fullsize bike aboard--it will depend on your bike and boat if it is possible. CL member Mate1860 manages to stow away not one but 2 full size bikes under their cockpit while underway in their little Albin Vega (a 27 ft boat) so...food for thought...

Old 03-14-2014, 01:05 AM   #5

Update on Folding Bikes? Hi all, we've had a Dahon working well for us but now we're thinking about getting another folding bike so we can not have to carry the "regular" bike aboard. Any ideas of what is out there and nifty-gotta-have-it now? Thanks!

Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

I decided on an electric folding bike, and after a bit of shopping around (and taking 2 different models back to my boat to see which one would fit best), I decided on this one:

Quando - 20" Folding Electric Bike.

I got an extra battery charger for it because the included battery charger (4A @ 36V) was too much of a drain on my electrical system and in any case lithium batteries last longer if they are charged slower, so I got a 1.4A charger instead.

I haven't had any problems with it except that the slower charger doesn't have a cut-out feature after the battery is charged so if the battery is left on charge it over-charges meaning the battery management system inside the battery kicks in which stops the bike working. Plugging the charger back in and out again will reset the BMS so it's all good to go after that.

It's a little heavier than most folding bikes but still not so heavy that I can't lift it into and out of the dinghy, and it really increases my range. It's a pleasure to ride even uphill, not like some bikes.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:37 AM   #7
Admiral

The link didn't work for me, but had a look on the web. Man, that's the Rolls Royce of electric bicycles. Not cheap but exceptionally high quality. The performance figures (with the battery upgrade) are astounding. Up to 25klmh and a range of 100klm.

I want one.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: Bromsgrove

If the bike is electric, might that not cause insurance / licence problems etc. in some counties?