Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-24-2010, 01:59 AM   #29

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by behang View Post
PS thank you, thank you, thank you to the person who posted the chamois wringer. I couldn't bring myself to pay the crazy Lehman's price for their yuppies-who-wanna-go-traditionalist wringer... I guess it's handmade by Amish virgins or something. Anyway, I can't wait to order one of these!
The high price of Lehman's wringers has kept me away from buying one as well. A chamois wringer will be unlikely to handle the sorts of things I would wish to wring out (heavy fabrics) but should work great for lightweight things. Some wringers are widely adjustable for thickness of fabric being wrung through while others (like the chamois wringer) are simply made for thin stuff.

As I recall from a different post, you're in Mexico right now--you will find hand wringers as well as high quality washboards in the stores which do not cater to tourists. They will likely be a very good price.

fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #30
Ensign

I too cook on offshore passages. There isn't a lot else to do after SSB e-mail and wefax. *grin* I usually serve two big meals and one or two smaller snacks, plus maintain a snack bag.

I sometimes do laundry on longer passages. When the laundry (usually t-shirts and underwear) smells more than I do something must be done. I use ammonia and fresh water in a 5-gal bucket that I leave for a day or so tied on the aft deck. If we are becalmed I wipe the salt off the lifelines and dry there, otherwise I wring everything out and rotate it through the shower stall. This works particularly well in colder weather when my diesel heater keeps the head particularly warm.

Sheets and towels get washed ashore after landfall.

I keep a set of clean sheets and towels taped up in a trash bag on longer passages so that after cleaning ourselves we have clean towels and then clean sheets even if it takes a day to get the laundry done.

S/V Auspicious
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I keep a set of clean sheets and towels taped up in a trash bag on longer passages so that after cleaning ourselves we have clean towels and then clean sheets even if it takes a day to get the laundry done.
We keep spare sheets and towels double packed in vac-bags (the kind with a valve and you press out the air or use a vacuum on it) since they take up much less space that way. I also pack all my "spare" clothes in vac-bags (the kind you roll to press out the excess air) before storing them in the stateroom. Again, they take up less space this way. Hubby can't seem to manage to keep such things organized and airtight, so all his clothes--spare and normal wear--reside together in mesh baskets open to the humid air. I worry that his stuff will get musty, but not enough to take care of his clothes management...and so far so good no mustiness.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #32
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
We keep spare sheets and towels double packed in vac-bags (the kind with a valve and you press out the air or use a vacuum on it) since they take up much less space that way. I also pack all my "spare" clothes in vac-bags (the kind you roll to press out the excess air) before storing them in the stateroom. Again, they take up less space this way. Hubby can't seem to manage to keep such things organized and airtight, so all his clothes--spare and normal wear--reside together in mesh baskets open to the humid air. I worry that his stuff will get musty, but not enough to take care of his clothes management...and so far so good no mustiness.
Saving room is one nice advantage. And we too love to use these bags because they keep sheets and clothes fresh and dry. No problem to store a spare pair of bed sheets or the clothes and shirts for the better occasions in a not so well ventilated locker for weeks and months. Unpacked they are nearly as fresh as just washed and dried. *Even if they are stowed in not so well ventilated lockers close to the hull (in higher latitudes), moisture and mold is not a problem any more!

Uwe

SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
http://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #33
Ensign

Here is a gadget that I have used a bit

We had 5 people for 2 weeks once and washed double bed sheets towels and all the clothes

Uses about 2 litres of water per wash

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdeta...tAbsolutePage=1

Allan
Old 02-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #34
Ensign

Quote:
I thought I'd post a couple "alternatives" to the trash bag mode and the other extreme of having a regular washer/dryer.

Here's a link for a non-electric hand-machine. Link
We live on board and we use the WonderWash, a very cheap manual and very practical wash machine. You do up to 10 Tshirts at the time!

Enough for the day to day. For larger pieces such as bed sheets, we go on land, not in the marinas as it is often more expensive than the local shops.

Pªhilippe

JAD

www.ovnijad.com
Old 12-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #35

Back to vinegar. Other than laundry detergent, dishwash soap, and personal soap, I've found that having three things aboard pretty much cover all my cleaning and disinfecting needs--vinegar, bleach, and Simple Green. The vinegar and bleach keep us clean and un-moldy; the Simple Green deals with grease and what-not around the engine. My cleaning locker has become pretty straightforward.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #36
Ensign

I like using hospital scrubs; they're light, easy to clean with minimal soap and sparse amounts of fresh water 'waste'.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #37
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netteypatch View Post

I like using hospital scrubs; they're light, easy to clean with minimal soap and sparse amounts of fresh water 'waste'.
Can you get scrubs in 100% cotton ?
Old 01-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #38

When I googled "100% cotton hospital scrubs" I found many hits, many available. However, scrubs are the equivalent of walking around in pajamas so I don't know why anyone would choose scrubs over a variety of other comfortable and attractive clothing.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:14 AM   #39
Rear Admiral

Quote:

When I googled "100% cotton hospital scrubs" I found many hits, many available. However, scrubs are the equivalent of walking around in pajamas so I don't know why anyone would choose scrubs over a variety of other comfortable and attractive clothing.
Hi there & G'day. Brenda - suggest (tongue in cheek) of course. BRING ALL LAUNDRY TO OUR Place. CAT 4 C/W 200/250 KPH WINDS WITHIN 36 HRS WITH UP TO 4 MTR - STORM SURGE PLUS LOST & LOTS OF RAIN. Not yelling - of course - just making the point. A tad bit of wind, rain, swells & much of the etc's. Am very glad y'all are not here, although there are several families coming up the mountain to our place to 'camp' in the house (rough but warm & dry - maybe) for the next few + days.Throw-away comment here; we may well be 'off-the-air- for some days from now, but WE WILL BE O.K. trust me - I'm a bloody crocodile, (that's a Ladies joke) Stay well everyone & just send your laundry via pellican. Very late here & not much sleep for the next 72 hrs. so until then Ciao, james. Lady Pamela & all our parrots - lol
Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #40
Admiral

Keep safe James & co.

Batten down and ride it out

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #41
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post

Keep safe James & co.

Batten down and ride it out

Aye // Stephen
G'day & THANKS. there are many of us here. Most of them are far worse-off than ourselves. Sure hope they can 'ride-it-out' A O.K. After a few years at this (both cyclones & both building/rebuilding/construction) I sure do hope they give me a call before they spend to much getting a bad job and allow me to see their problems & see if I can help out. Time will tell. The offer is there.

Got to go. Still screwing 8' x 4' x 1" thick marine ply over the upstairs windows & doors. etc etc. Tnx for your concern. I'm far more worried about all the others in this very big area & hope when - the dust settles - they will call if I can assists. Especially Mico who I've not heard back from yet. Robin we (I) do hope you are safe and the boat is O.K. Give us a ring. Ciao, james

Old 02-06-2011, 02:18 AM   #42
Rear Admiral

I'm certainly no expert, but...

I threw away (rebuilt and sold, actually) one of the two crappers that came in our boat and installed a HAIER model HLP21E washing machine in it's place. And it goes without saying that you'll also need a high volume watermaker for this to work.

The machine is an appartment-sized top loader and has a 18 inch footprint, so it was quite easy to wrestle into place without needing to do any surgery in our boat. The water supply fitting is the same size & thread pattern common to many shower fittings and the discharge hose is the same size as the original toilet water supply hose. It's powered by the same 800 watt 120 volt inverter we use for every appliance on our boat.

Set it in place, plumb it up, strap it down, plug it in and enjoy fresh sheets and clean cloths anytime, anywhere!

The combo watermaker & washing machine make life aboard mych more civilized and saves us at least three days' of chores whenever we arrive in port by eliminating the need to lug laundry bags and water jugs back & forth in the dinghy.

I passed a fellow cruising sailor lugging four bags of laundry to his dinghy that he's just paid $160 USD to have washed & folded ... while I was lugging our new washing machine to our dinghy that I'd just paid $245 for! That was nearly three years ago in Grenada. The machine has performed flawlessly across the Pacific and I'm astounded that our little 800 watt inverter still handles the job!

A splash of vinagar certainly helps the final rinse. And unlimited hot showers are a constant source of enjoyment in any port AND at sea!

Come on, folks - we really don't have to rough it out here anymore! I'm certain that the cost of the watermaker & washing machine have been offset in the cost of having someone do for us ashore and the labor & indignity of having to do laundry with a bucket & plunger on deck... which also requires lots of water.

Eight 80 watt solar panels provide the power, running the engine-driven 50 gph watermaker supplies the juice, the 100 amp alternator backs it up AND engine heat provides us with hot showers. Six golf cart batteries balances the equation.

It works quite well for the three of us and makes life much easier. And we always smell good, too!

To Life!

Kirk