Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #57
Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Originally Posted by KenOceanGuy View Post
REI They are treated with anti microbial and other treatments to extend the wear up to 2 weeks without getting nasty. Possibly a way around laundry if you only need undies or a shirt a few times during a voyage.
I wonder what anti microbial treatments they have? This is an interesting idea.

However, I do love my clean, clean clothes

You all got me thinking about laundry and I decided to wash the duvet (comforter cover) as well as sheets today. The boat smells really nice since I use a lavender fabric softener.

Method has a great new biodegradable laundry detergent that is highly concentrated and tiny. 20 FL (600 ml) does 50 loads. It is a pump bottle about the size of what you'd see for a large container of dishwashing detergent. see the link here

Mico--nope. I like my messy boat interior to be my private, messy boat
I do appreciate those great people who share their pics and info online though.

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #58

If the bubble thingy is a "Wonder Wash", we had one for about two months back when we were in Australia. I disliked it intensely because it had such a small capacity, I still had to wring the soapy water out and then rinse, and it took me so much longer than doing a whole lot in a 5-gallon bucket. It also was a miserably shaped object to try to stow anyplace.

A 5-gallon bucket and a toilet plunger will do a lot of laundry for very little effort and water. The trick is to keep washing and wringing out the laundry, starting with the whites, and adding new dirty clothes until they're all washed or the wash water has turned quite black. Then rinse and wring the laundry, starting with the whites again. If I worked carefully I could do two sets of linens and towels, and all our dirty clothes that had accumulated for two weeks, with just about 10 gallons of water.

On passages I'd wash a little bit of stuff at a time, using salt water for the wash water, then rinsing with fresh water. If it looked as if it was going to rain, I'd dump a lot of stuff in a bucket with soap and catch the water runoff to do the clothes.

If you use Napi-San soak, you can often get away with no soap and just a rinse.

In 1986 we went cruising for a few years. After 20 years and 50+ countries and several oceans, we are STILL "cruising for a few years".

MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #59
Home Port: london

Try to create your outdoor clothes less stinky. In other terms, don't perspire too much. Actually this is a wise decision for another purpose. If you get your outfits wet with perspire, later you may have a issue remaining heated.
wilsonsdarrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:22 AM   #60
Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I was told to put dirty clothes in a string 'onion' bag and tow them behind the boat for an hour or so. I'm not sure if it works. My favourite shorts, T shirt, and several other bits disappeared. I don't know if my knot was not knotty enough, or if a big hungry fishy decided it needed my clothes more than I did.
Either way, rinsing and drying was not needed...so, success..sorta!
I've since used a 20 ltr drum with a large screw top. Put in the dirties with a bit of dishwashing liquid and salt water. Sail a bit. Do a salt water rinse the same way (sans le detergent), wring the clothes and do a fresh water rinse the same way. Sometimes two. A decent offshore apparel wash can be done to the accompanyment of a pleasant day's sailing.
Drying hint: In an effort to keep drying clothes and linen away from salt spray, don't peg them to a spare halyard (Tied of course to a spare line attached to the deck) and haul them aloft. First, it looks stupid, and second, god didn't invent pegs strong enough to deal with flappers drying in the 'slot'.
As my mother used to say, 'David, sometimes you can be so bloomin' dense'.

"if at first you don't succeed....Redefine success"!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote