Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-12-2010, 06:56 AM   #21
Commander

Home Port: Puerto Montt
Vessel Name: Westerly Serenade

Its a bit fussy getting into but it is still 'free' etc.... password comes with registration & no demands for dosh... ... maybe pskmail should have its own thread?

Old 03-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #22
Lieutenant

Hopefully the PSK gurus will implement the WINMOR protocol

Old 03-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #23
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
I downloaded this only to find the file protected with a password!?!? I thought WINMOR is supposed to be an open and free alternative to PACTOR?

PSKMAIL - http://pskmail.wikispaces.com/ - is truly open source and free... And cross platform to boot. No passwords, nothing shrouded in secrecy...

Am I misunderstanding something about WINMOR?
Scotte,

I was a Beta tester of WINMOR, and got my copy of RMS Express for free as a result.

I also recently downloaded the software again, and was not asked for a password.

Now, this could be because I already had a free registration key to the product.

As I understand it, the software will still work even without the key, up to a certain date, about one year from now.

It truly works well. Thruput speeds in the field of about 8Kbytes/min on 1600 Hz bandwidth have been seen over a 1000 km path.

For the price (about $39 eventually), it compares very well to the alternative.

Your choice,

Hamsailor.

(Not making a dime out of this.)
Old 05-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #24
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

This is actually pretty exciting news. As an early adopter of Gerald Youngblood's SDR1000 (I wrote my own front-end in Delphi) and a wannabe yachtie I've been looking for a replacement for the PACTOR system, which always seemed to me to be a bit proprietary, expensive and antiquated for what it did. Granted, it's idiot-proof but then again not all potential users are idiots.

WINMOR could just fit the bill once the code becomes available and I can rewrite it to integrate with my code. Sending an email would then just become a simple matter of clicking on another transmission mode button. If I can send basic email and get weather that's all I really need, and it would alleviate some of the desire for Iridium and other expensive toys.

VK3XVK

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #25
Commander

In April I fired up PSKMail on the yacht and find it is quite handy. I was using it in the Falklands with a local server that is not on the inet list of servers as it is 'intermittent'. Worked well and as stated elsewhere it is multiplatform... I have been running the Javapskmail program together with Fldigi on a Macbook. Haven't used it in Oz yet but I see there is a German land mobile in Kakadu using it just now.

Today I got off my backside and installed the Winmor stuff.... no need to register but you do get a pop up that asks for $39 .... no need to pay if you don't want to... you will just keep getting the pop-up.

Easy to install, works good thus far. Running it on the Macbook with VMware Fusion and XP Prof.

In both cases running through a Signalink USB. They are about $100 and are also good for lots of other digital stuff which may or may not be of interest to sailors. I use it with Cocoamodem 2.0 for getting faxes.

Both worth a look... both free.

Frank

VK3JFH aka VP8DNM
Old 05-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #26
Admiral

Hey Frank,

Good to hear from someone out there actually living the life, especially an ex-Melbourne boy. Nice tip about PSKMail, I checked into it and it looks useful. Only a few years ago links from ham systems into the internet were illegal so I guess that has changed now, which should make life much more interesting when I eventually break free of the working world and start wandering.

The Falklands are an interesting place to end up, and the fact that you have a VP8 call seems to indicate you're planning to stay a while. What's the attraction?

Cheers,

Rob

Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #27
Commander

Gday Rob,

The attraction of the Falklands?.... Its on the way back to Chile I guess.... not much there but sheep, birds and fish...... and wind.

They have no recip arrangements with anyone so if you want to be MM there you have to get a local call, costs 20 pounds.

Ham into the internet? Bin around a while, thats how Winlink works.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 05-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #28
Admiral

Hi Frank,

Always thought that was an odd rule, glad it has been softened even if only for remote travelers. I'll have to read up on current rules, been off-air for a few years. Writing firmware for wireless security networks tends to dull the enthusiasm for after hours ham activities, it seems too much like working.

Having started on the internet with a homebrew 1200 baud modem — after being on Fidonet a few years first — it will be just like the old days!

Take care,

Rob