Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
Rear Admiral

BAKED BEANS in a Pressure Cooker

This can be made without a pressure cooker, in a regular pot. The soaking and cooking times will be longer.

PREPARATORY STEP - HOW TO SOAK DRY BEANS AND PEAS FOR PRESSURE COOKING:

2 cups dry beans or peas

¼ cup cooking oil

1 tablespoon salt

Water to well cover the vegetables

Method 1 {Takes more time, less fuel, keeps the galley cooler}

Place dry beans or peas in Cooker. Add cooking oil, salt, and water to well cover the vegetables. Soak overnight. In most instances, dry beans or peas will almost regain their original shape, freshness, and color.

Method 2 {Takes more fuel, less time, will add heat to the galley}

Place dry beans or peas in Cooker. Add cooking oil, salt, and water to well cover the vegetables. The beans will soak up a large volume of water, exceeding their own dry volume. Fill the pressure vessel half full with water to insure they do not cook dry. At the same time the pressure vessel requires head space (air expansion), so do not fill more than half full. Cook the beans or peas under Pressure for 5 minutes. Turn off the burner; allow the pressure to drop on its’ own accord. Note that by doing this, the beans or peas are cooking inside the pressure vessel for perhaps another 20-30 minutes. Just leave them there, until needed in the recipe.

I have had great success with Method 2 soaking beans. I have not cooked dried peas often; I suspect they may turn to mush quicker. I have had problems with Method 1, in getting the beans to the desired softness even after 2 days of soaking.

BAKED BEANS

2 cups Navy Beans (Soaked – Softened per above)

½ teaspoon dry mustard

¼ teaspoon ground pepper

1 medium onion, minced (***)

¼ molasses

1/3 cup brown sugar

¼ catsup

½ lb uncooked ham diced as desired

3 ½ cups of water

Drain the beans.

Add the remaining ingredients.

Cook 45 minutes with the pressure regulator rocking slowly.

Let the pressure drop on its own accord.

Season to taste with salt.

Adjust all seasonings as desired.

Options and Substitutions

* Navy Beans. Use what you have or like, Great Northern, White Beans, Pintos, etc.

* Dry Mustard – Prepared Mustard. I ADD two tablespoons of prepared mustard to the recipe.

*** Beans and onions tend to produce methane gas, if you get my drift…. The cause can be reduced by sautéing the onions to a light golden brown in cooking oil or butter, before adding to the recipe.

* I go heavy on the sweeteners, especially the brown sugar, making the measure heaping.

* Too much molasses will lend some bitterness. Molasses produces a darker color.

* Catsup / Ketchup – Substitute any tomato based product, tomato sauce, soup, or paste, fresh or diced canned tomatoes, salsa, picante etc. Adjust for the liquid and seasonings of the substitution. The flavor will be altered, but you can still eat beans.

* Uncooked ham – Cooked ham, Prepared or Raw Bacon, Canadian Bacon, Raw pork (add salt), other meat may work, sausage, mince (ground), may omit meat if desired. The results will differ, but work.

* Baked Beans can be made ahead, reheated, eaten hot or cold after they are prepared; taste better after the first day, allowing the flavors to blend.

4 Servings

Nutrition Information: 397 Calories; 6 g Fat; 8 mg Cholesterol; Sodium Varies

Enjoy,

Jeff

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote