Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-22-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
Lieutenant

I mean at 15 cents a pack. Who hasn't ate there fair share of these things? I spice mine up a bit. Many differant ways.

One I do alot.

I make the ramen like you are supposed to. Then in a frying pan I add a little butter, some soy sauce and a raw egg. I kinda stir fry it. Makes a tasty protein filled dish.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Ingredients

1 Package Ramen (Any flavor will do)

1 Slice of American cheese

1 Can of tuna (Splurge on the White Albacore)

Jalepenos from the jar (to taste)

Add mushrooms or any vegatables you would like.

Break up the noodles in the package and cook per the directions. While the noodles are cooking, drain the tuna and dump it into a bowl. Put in the jalepeno slices and top it all off with the slice of cheese. When the Ramen is ready, mix in the spice packet and pour the noodles into the bowl. Let it all steep for a few minutes to melt the cheese and then mix well.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:43 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Deep fried.

Microwave the noodles in a large bowl as a brick. Mix in the flavor packet. Be very carfull not to break up the brick.

When they are about done.

Use a burger flipper to fish them out.

Heat up some oil.

Bread the noodle brick. I use Andy's, but any of your fav breadings will work.

Then drop the brick into the fryer.

It will bob around and such. When you have a nice golden brown breading. Pull it out.

This dosn't sound to great, but you go to try it. It is well worth it.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:51 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Cheap beef and cheese.

Use I pack of beef type noodles.

Once made add a slice of american cheese. Mix. Let sit for 3 mins and enjoy.

Cost about 35 cents a meal. Add mushrooms and the like to spice it up.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:52 PM   #5
Ensign

Kinda simple, but I like it.

I drop 2 packages of noodles in boiling water, take them out with a fork and drop them into a small mixing bowl. I take only one chicken flavor pack and empty it into the cup of a ladle, and let a little hot water from the pot into it, stir it with a fork in the ladle cup and then drizzle it over the noodles. Then once over lightly with parmesan, hot sauce, and dried parsley, respectively and toss. I love it this way and eat it a lot.

Part of the reason I like it is I end up with a large number of leftover chicken flavor packages after a case of noodles, and they come in handy when I'm cooking almost anything, from soups to stews to spaghetti sauce, there's rarely a time that a pot that "needs something" isn't helped by a flavor pack or two. And the next time I run into an actual live chicken, after I've roast chicken one day, bbq sauce chicken the next and possibly chicken salad a third, penny pinchin me boils the bones, fishes them out and adds macaroni, chopped onion, garlic and chicken flavor packs...for hobo chicken noodle soup...an eety beety chicken lasts me several days if I don't have a frantic gnarf fest.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:08 AM   #6
Admiral

At anchor, with lots of fresh stuff: Cook noodles the shortest amount of time to that they separate, drain. In the same pan put a little peanut oil and saute some minced onion, minced clove of garlic, celery, whatever other fresh vegs (in SE Asia a stalk or two of that thin Thai asparagus chopped into inch-long sticks) and whatever leftover meat from last night, diced. Toss with the drained noodles, maybe use a little of the seasoning packet. Drizzle with a little toasted sesame oil.

At sea, things haven't been very calm and we're out of much in the way of fresh veggies. Rehydrate some dried vegetables, especially corn and peas. Perhaps a few chopped dried mushrooms, some dried parsley. You should have fresh onions and garlic, some fresh cabbage you can shred finely, maybe some fresh bean sprouts. Cook noodles in the barest minimum of water (or, if the weather is particularly bad, just boil some water in a kettle and pour over the noodles and let sit for 3 to 5 minutes; if even that is too much, let noodles sit in unboiled water until they soften, 5 to 15 minutes); saute fresh and rehydrated veggies, open a can of chicken meat or tuna, add "cooked" noodles to the stew and heat through. Season with half the seasoning packet, some sesame oil. Lots of energy with all the carbohydrates, the oil provides fuel to keep you warm, and a little protein to satisfy that craving.

When the weather and seas were very, very bad, cooking such a simple meal can take a long time. The slow, waiting parts I'd do just before I came up on watch. I'd put the dried veggies in a container with a screw top with hot, or warm, or just tap, water. When Peter relieved me I'd work on the noodles and getting the stove lit to finish the entire meal. It was important that the meal be hot - somehow we drew energy from that as well as the nutrition. I would bring up a large bowl for Peter, eat some myself and lie down to sleep. We did a lot of resting when the weather was bad because anything we had to do took a lot of energy.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote