Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

We have been reading a lot about cruisers who have stores of canned meats, cheese and butter from

http://www.internet-grocer.net/product.html

The word is that the New Zealand canned butter is oustanding. So, to find out for ourselves, Lori & I purchased a sample pack from the internet grocer which contained pork, chicken, ground beef, beef, turkey, cheese and butter.

As of this week, we have sampled the butter, cheese, beef and ground beef. The butter is outstanding as far as butter goes. The cheese is OK and I would imagine it would be great in the middle of the South Pacific. The ground beef smelled like dog food when we opened it, however it tasted OK when mixed with a can of Sloppy Joe sauce. The beef, also smelled like dog food, was stringy and didn't get anybetter when cooked into a pasta dish. We just couldn't get past the dog food smell.

I'll let ya know how the pork, chicken and turkey taste as we make our way through them.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
Admiral

Hi Ken,

Very few canned meats seem to compare with the original product - but there is one, that is good and has a good shelf life - Branded as "Tulip" and "Plumrose" both are Danish canned ham.

In 1lb cans in the shape of a ham.

Hormel's canned spammed "Spam" greasy

Liebig's Bully Beef without cereal from the Argentine - good.

Richard

Old 05-09-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
Admiral

Have you come across an internet supplier of Australian or New Zealand dried vegetables? *They are superior to what I've found in the U.S., and much cheaper. *I like their green beans better than either canned or frozen. *Most of the vegetables can be reconstituted and cook as if fresh, even in stir-fried dishes. *I would love to find a source.

I tried so many canned meats and was generally disappointed. *I like Argentinian canned beef, it seemed to have the best taste and texture. *Chinese canned pork was somewhat okay, once you got rid of all the fat; it wasn't so great though it gave good flavor to fried rice.

For chicken breasts, meatballs and ground beef, I found that canning my own worked better than anything that I found canned commercially. *I could control the texture and reduce the salt, and it was much cheaper than the tinned stuff. *There are lots of meats that can be canned - solid pork loin is nice, too. *I'd buy commercially made tomato pasta sauce in the smallest, (14-oz.?) jars, and add my own canned beef or meatballs. *Chicken Parmesan - canned chicken breasts heated up in pasta sauce, top with Mozarella cheese, not bad. *Not great, but not bad.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Has anyone tried canned chicken breasts on a hibatchi? All the salt might be a problem but starting it with a grilling should help. Transfer to a pan then lightly brush it in oil and chillies, paprika, garlic, pepper and onion powder (if you don't have onions) and cook for ten minutes at a medium heat. Add reconstituted tomatoes and tomato paste; bring to boil, stirring and scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with pasta or rice... Yummy.

Ottawa, Canada
KevinBarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
Admiral

Kevin, I usually wash or soak commercially canned meat and vegetables to remove some of the salt. *My own canned meats have less salt than commercial foods, and a little citric acid. *

Your recipe sounds good. *Can't go wrong with onions, garlic and chilies.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:20 AM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Hey...the canned pork was a surprise. Very good as carnitas in burrito/taco mix...quite good!