Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-08-2007, 12:20 AM   #1
Ensign

best way to store them.

how long they last.

cooking.

EGGS....... i luv em

come on you worldly cruisers... you must have heaps of advice/stories/recipes/advice/fetishes about eggs

cheers.

DB

Old 03-08-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to Robinsvoyage

When I lived on the Hard Knots last year, I ate fried eggs every morning, usually with oranges, and sometimes, with corn beef and hash.

Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder View Post
best way to store them.

how long they last.

cooking.

EGGS....... i luv em

come on you worldly cruisers... you must have heaps of advice/stories/recipes/advice/fetishes about eggs

cheers.

DB

Old 03-08-2007, 02:48 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50
Talking

To make eggs last for months (and much longer), coat them with vaseline to seal the pores. This prevents air from penetrating the shell which causes the egg to go bad.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:18 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
coat them with vaseline to seal the pores.
Trim 50's idea works but I have found that just dipping the eggs in olive oil and then carefully drying them off works as well. If any of the "coating" should get into the frying pan or whatever you are using, I would prefer the taste of olive oil to vaseline!

It is eay to check if the egg has gone bad BEFORE cracking the shell and releasing the delicate aroma of sulpher - YUK. Just pop the egg(s) into fresh water. Good eggs sink, bad eggs float!

I store my eggs in plastic egg boxes I bought at Cape Union Mart in South Africa. They are designed to keep eggs whole whilst bouncing arround the bush in a Land Rover and work just as well at sea. Avoid keeping eggs in the egg boxes they come in in from the shops as roaches love them. If they get wet they become a soggy mess which breaks up and is difficult to clean.

One other thing, do not buy eggs which have been kept in a fridge. Eggs willl last a long time outside a fridge if they have never been in one but once chilled they will go off very quickly if they are taken out of the cool environment.

Aye

Stephen

yacht NAUSIKAA

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Ensign

Unhappy

Anyone used powdered eggs?

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp...Custom&ID=2

Should be able to do omlettes, scrambelles, pancakes etc. Not boiled!!!

Interested to hear views on this.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
Admiral

That source of powdered eggs is great! For baking it would be much easier than fresh eggs. When we ran out of eggs but I had too many bananas and papayas that I had to bake them into breads, I used mayonnaise as an egg and oil substitute, which worked well, but depleted my mayonnaise stores quickly.

I carry and use powdered egg white which is a reasonable substitute for many things, though whole eggs are more useful. In the States one can buy egg whites in most baking sections of the grocery, "Just whites", and they're in a small enough container that I don't worry about humidity ruining a $15.00 can of egg whites.

The problem I have with a 2.25-pound can of powdered eggs is that it's really quite large for the terribly humid boat environment. I would transfer it into smaller air-tight containers.

I still like fresh eggs, and prepare them for storage as Trim50 suggests, though I wouldn't trust them much beyond two months, partly because you can't tell how old they are when you buy them. "Fresh" eggs can be a week or more old when you buy them, depending on the source. After a month I'd probably put the egg in water before cracking it to check that it's still good.

With respect to the water test - eggs more than two weeks old will usually "float" but they are still perfectly good. A bad egg will float with more than half the shell out of water. This is something you should become acquainted with as you cruise - what a terrible mistake if you toss good eggs! (In Tonga we were so starved for eggs that I bought two dozen at the weekly market, at a price of USDF $0.50 PER EGG. And Peter dropped the flat and we lost all but six of the eggs! :icon_boohoo1:

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
Rear Admiral

Though not a cruiser yet, I operated my own food service business for several years.

A good source for information about eggs is the American Egg Board {The incredible edible egg™.} at: http://www.aeb.org/

Eggs come in fresh, frozen, powdered, refridgerated or fozen egg products, whole egg, white only, yolk only, and egg substitue products.

For long term storage you can freeze your own. Remove the shell and place the eggs in ice cube trays. You have the option of keeping individual eggs in each cube, or simply breaking the yolks and lightly pre-mixing them. After they are fozen, pop them out of the trays and freeze them in plastic containers, plastic zipper bags, or best for long term storage vacum seal them.

You can pre-fry them and freeze the fried egg patty, or pre-make a sanwich or burrito and freeze those. You can also buy frozen egg pattys, breakfast burritos, or breakfast sandwiches.

Related Topic - Purchasing Food and Food Products.

Though many individuals do not consider buying from a food wholesaler, many will and do sell to the public. Wholesalers offer better prices than retail grocers, though generally you will end up buying products in much larger quantities. For example they do not sell a dozen eggs. The smallest quantity may be a case of 5 dozen with five flats in a single box. The price is less than $.50 a dozen. I used to buy frozen egg patties, 300 patties per case, at $12. or $.04 per egg. They look and taste as good or better than say a McDonalds' Breakfast Sandwich, though not as good as an egg from the shell.

Wholesalers also offer products not commonly (or if ever) available in retail stores.

The problem I forsee for cruisers with these ideas:

Finding wholesalers when and where you need them.

Land transportation from the dock to the warehouse.

Bulk storage requirements. You need adequate and appropriate locker, fridge and freezer space.

Buying to much, misjudging your storage capacity. A good solution is to pre-plan and split bulk purchases and costs with fellow cruisers.

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
Ensign

Be like Noah's Arc.. fresh eggs every day!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #9
Ensign

Many thanks for all the EGGY responses.

I dreaded looking at the forum today because I was very drunk when I posted my question about eggs and with the 'morning after' feeling I thought "Why did I write that?".

What got me on the topic was the excellent post and replies about fishing on the move and how to preserve your catch.

Again... thanks for the replies.... and thanks for not making me feel even worse than I did this morning!

DB
Old 03-08-2007, 11:46 PM   #10
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Well......Three raw eggs, dash of tabasco, cold milk.....Mix well and toss it down.

David...

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:26 AM   #11
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Many thanks for all the EGGY responses.

I dreaded looking at the forum today because I was very drunk when I posted my question about eggs and with the 'morning after' feeling I thought "Why did I write that?".

What got me on the topic was the excellent post and replies about fishing on the move and how to preserve your catch.

Again... thanks for the replies.... and thanks for not making me feel even worse than I did this morning!

DB
What blunt honesty and candor!

I was wondering about the "egg fetish part". I was not going to touch that part of the topic as I had nothing to contribute; just lurk with curiosity.

Although it is generally not wise to drop a letter in the mail box, or hit the send button on the computer, when one has written something while indulging in Grog, I think the egg topic is a good one to consider in planning provisioning.

Thankfully you were not at the helm or the steering wheel; only at the keyboard.

Next time you uncork the bottle, consider having a couple of eggs and toast <----wrong word ...ah eggs and bread, prepared your favorite way, before you get to deep into the bottle.

~ ~ ~

Auzzee:

THREE Eggs! Just how big are the bottles in OZ?

Old 03-09-2007, 07:00 AM   #12
Rear Admiral

Expanding on the EGG topic.

I assumed we are discussing domestic chicken eggs, but there are many kinds of eggs, domestic and wild birds, reptiles and fish. Cavier may stray off the intent of the topic.

In parts of the world, are eggs from other than chickens common in the diet and market place? Say Ostrich in Oz?

I must share a foreign egg related experiance of mine.

In Central America, Iguana is a common source of protein and on the menu and in the diet. In Hounduras, I was a guest of honor, in a private home of the lower income class.

< Break in the story... >

I must clarify and define "income class". There are only two classes, poverty and affleunt. There is no middle class. There is no in between. There are the haves and the have nots. Those in poverty have little chance of aspiring to something differant or greater.

< Back to the story.... >

The main course was a a very large (6 foot / 2 meter) female Iguana. With some personal difficultly, and good manners, I was a gracious and polite guest. It was not bad, after I got over the thought of eating a reptile and having the whole carcuss displayed center table, and focused on politeness and my duty as a US Military and American ambassor. I ate lizzard until I was stuffed. Little did I know that they reserved a special egg treat, found in the middle, for last. My most gracious hosts insisted that I get several of the largest, (coveted by the them), eggs found inside it. Past stuffed, I ate more of these very rich, no white, all yolk, and most filling eggs.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:33 PM   #13
Admiral

Quote:
best way to store them.

how long they last.

cooking.

EGGS....... i luv em

cheers.

DB

Coating eggs with ordinary cooking oil - brush on, wipe off leaving thin coating. This coating will dry off - leaving the shell airtight, this being the secret of keeping the egg content edible for a much longer period.

Ising-glass otherwise known as :- Agar-agar; Gum agar; Bacto-agar; Bengal gelatin; Bengal ising glass; Ceylon; Ceylon ising glass; Chinese ising glass; Digenea simplex mucilage; GAM medium; Gelose; Japan agar; Japan ising glass; Kantenmatsu; Layor caran. Used in the culturing of bacteria - in cooking and in preserving. Ising-glass powder dissolved in water was used by mariners to preserve eggs and other foods. Used in the UK during the rationing period

WW II and for a year or two later to preserve eggs.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #14
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cape Town

Whilst the coating of eggs with vegetable or olive oil to make them “keep” longer, there are two other very important factors to note – one already mentioned. Firstly, make sure the eggs are fresh to start with and have never been refrigerated. Secondly, turn the eggs every few days. By doing this, the yolk remains suspended in the albumen and does not slowly rise and press against the inner shell lining. If the yolk does float up to the lining, the egg will go bad – oil or no oil.

JohnT
Old 07-22-2007, 09:42 PM   #15
Lieutenant

http://www.mtnhse.com/miva/merchant.mv?Scr...duct_Code=30431

These folks have some great freeze dried eggs. The scrambled eggs and han is great. I never tried the new uncooked stuff, but I am sure it is as good as most the rest of their products.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:57 AM   #16
Ensign

Store your eggs upside down. Apparently having the air pocket at the other end heaps them last longer. So I have been told....
Old 03-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #17
Rear Admiral

Sempter,

If that is a DURIAN it makes delicious candy....OH YEAH!~ I like eggs too....LOLOLOLOL
Old 03-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #18
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Sempter,

If that is a DURIAN it makes delicious candy....OH YEAH!~ I like eggs too....LOLOLOLOL
to each his own. aarrgghhhhhhhh!

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:18 AM   #19
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwicruiser View Post
Store your eggs upside down. Apparently having the air pocket at the other end heaps them last longer. So I have been told....
Which end is upside ? the pointy end ?

When a chicken lays an egg - sharp end first ? or last ?
Attached Thumbnails
chiken_egg.JPG  
Old 03-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #20
Admiral

I heard that it is better to rotate the eggs as:

a. you don't have to worry about which end is up and which is down

b. the yolk does not fall to the bottom where, lying against the shell, it would start to rot.

For me, b is the more important consideration.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote