Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-07-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
Admiral

Many of the new Catamaran designs provide for the galley to be situated up in the saloon with direct access to the Cockpit - all on the same level.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Leopard_galley_up.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1268

Wonder how many monohull designs have brought the galley into the pilot house or even the cockpit?

Old 03-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Admiral

I've never seen a galley in a pilothouse, and don't expect to. The higher the galley, the greater the movement of heel, making it more difficult to work in the galley.

I loved long passages and would cook up a storm on them. SV Watermelon's galley was small but comfortable to work in, and I didn't have to worry about being tossed around while down there.

As for a galley in the cockpit, I would hate it. I also can't imagine how it would work. The cockpit is full of the gear to make the boat sail, none of which can be moved.

then again, I've never sailed on anything bigger than 42', maybe bigger boats could be laid out differently.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Ensign

Heel? What's that?

Galley up is quite common in cats, more so in say the last decade than in previous designs. As with all things there are advantages and disadvantages. Our Privilege 39 has galley down, in the port hull. Our bridgedeck salon is rather small, with low ceilings and little forward visibility, compared to most newer designs. The tradeoff is that our cockpit is massive, easily twice the size of most of the newer cats I've seen in our LOA.

Again, I'm not suggesting what works for us is right for everyone else - as with all things, there are pluses and minuses. Sometimes it would be really nice to be able to make a sandwich while staying where I can see what's going on outside.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Wonder how many monohull designs have brought the galley into the pilot house or even the cockpit?
Well, I never sailed a cat but am a great believer in having the galley in the cockpit. Sounds strange? Of course it does and it would never work but I do have a double 220v hot plate which, in warm weather in port with shore power, finds its way into the cockpit for cooking. It stops the interior getting too hot. It's not heavy and takes little space. A very useful extra imho.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
Admiral

Now, Stephen, I wasn't thinking of while in port! And I should have because I've been looking for an electric grill, small, that I can use when in port or at anchor, and it would go in the cockpit. Then I could make all kinds of smoky stuff that I don't do now because it would smell up the boat too much. Duh!

But a full-blown galley in the cockpit? With a hard bimini top on a cat, I might be able to imagine it; has anybody seen that? And our friend had a galley up in his catamaran, but I didn't like it much, too much mess too visible to all visitors. I like having the cooking pots, pans, and dirty dishes out of the sight of our guests. Always have.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Guys & Gals check the Moody 45 DS it has a full galley in the pilothouse !!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion40 View Post
Guys & Gals check the Moody 45 DS it has a full galley in the pilothouse !!!!
Hi Fushion40,

Thanks for the design produced by Bill Dixon, one could be excused for thinking that his designs were from an era long past. I suffered a similar perspective when I commissioned Robin Chamberlin to design my first catamaran with ;- with dagger boards and vertical bows. We had galley up , and in the enormous cockpit, on the aft pushpit a s/s barbie, on the other side a hinged s/s sink.

Richard

The Moody 45 DS:- CLICK
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MoodyDeckSaloon45NEWBrochureDecember2009.pdf (2.88 MB, 12 views)
Old 03-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Hi Fushion40,

Thanks for the design produced by Bill Dixon, one could be excused for thinking that his designs were from an era long past. I suffered a similar perspective when I commissioned Robin Chamberlin to design my first catamaran with ;- with dagger boards and vertical bows. We had galley up , and in the enormous cockpit, on the aft pushpit a s/s barbie, on the other side a hinged s/s sink.

Richard

The Moody 45 DS:- CLICK
"Moody" of course, these days is Hanse with badge engineering. Long time no chat Richard, Hope you and yours are well.

Pete