Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #15

Here is a link to an earlier post describing the refrigerator boxes I had made for the boat. They worked very well no matter how rough our passage.

Link to Boat Refrigerator, that deep dark hole

In 1986 we went cruising for a few years. After 20 years and 50+ countries and several oceans, we are STILL "cruising for a few years".

MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #16
Rear Admiral
Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

Originally Posted by MaDouleur View Post
My general plan is to liquidate the entire contents of my house, buy a boat and live aboard. Once established, I would take weekend / week-long cruises and then see where things go as far as more extensive cruising.

As I clean things up and put them up for sale, I'm giving a lot of thought to what I should keep. I think most household I'll keep will be kitchen items so this post should be in the right place...
I know this is really old and out of date, but since you aren't going to be the last person to have to solve this problem, I am going to throw in my two cents.

I believe that looking at what you have and deciding what to bring is the wrong approach. Instead, I would say to make a list of what you need/want to have. Then pare that list down a couple times till you are comfortable with it. Think about the tasks you want to accomplish and what the reasonable minimum tool set is for that.

After that, look throught what you have and take only what is on that list.

Then live with your choices for a while, bringing more stuff aboard as you find yourself needing it. Sometimes purge what you haven't used.

This is similar to the concept of taking nothing, then buying what you need as you need it, but costs a bit less.

When I bought my boat I decided to set it up with all new stuff. Since I was using my house about 2/3rds of the time and my boat the other third, I wanted to have each be comfortable and supplied with what I want.

Galley, for example:

To me, a few very good pots and pans, a couple very good knives, and a nice small set of dishes was key in the galley. I did plates, wine glasses, and flatware for 8, bowls, salad plates, and coffee cups for 4. Then I have fewer than twelve other items.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: San Diego
Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #17

Totally agree w/ Lighthouse about knowing the space (and existing equipment) you will have to work with first, if you can… but it's great to start liberating as much Stuff as you can early too, so in that spirit, my opinions vs your list on your things to keep or chuck. This is something people handle very differently from one to the next… this advice is worth what it cost, I guess! :-) For context, we are cruising (out about a year and a half now) in Pacific Mexico, getting ready to cross for FP this spring.
  • Pots/pans: our workhorses are the pressure cooker and a cast iron griddle that fits the top of our stove. The PC is deep (stuff far less likely to spill if we're bouncing and I don't have the lid locked on.). Is 2 gallons too big? Hmm. Wait and see how big your burner is on the future boat. Sounds like a good workhorse candidate to me! The griddle does everything from bacon and pancakes to burgers to grilled cheese sandwiches. Cast iron holds up just fine in the marine environment, to my surprise and pleasure... just don't let it get & stay wet. Easy.
  • Tupperware: I am a huge fan of the nesting snapware sold at Costco. Nesting means it takes less space, gasketed lids that snap/lock on mean no leaks, and lids NEVER come off. Ever. Well, in 18 months anyway. I can chuck stuff into the fridge and know it won't turn into icky goop spilled on the bottom. For bigger food storage (e.g. grains, beans, popcorn, coffee) we have the square OXO containers with pressure-release, gasketed tops. Again, the magic is in gasketed tops.
  • Dishes: among our motley set, anyway, cruiser etiquette is to bring your own plates/utensils when you have dinner on another boat. Less work for the host (using possibly precious clean water), plus, no assumption they have enough for the crowd in their cockpit. Don't worry about having a bunch. I did go for a set of Corelle and am happy with how durable it is… I won't eat on plastic and this glassware seems to be unbreakable.
  • Igloo: don't sell it yet. Depending on your refrigeration setup, it could come in handy… see what you end up with (and how much space you have) once you own the boat.

Non kitchen:
  • My husband brought an insane number of tools and we are so glad they take up the weight & space that they do! Yes.
  • Light blankets: fleece is great on a boat. Dries easy, warm if it's wet (think: cockpit uses), and believe it or not, when it's really stinkin hot? It's actually more comfortable to sleep on top of fleece than a sheet, because it wicks moisture away from your body. Weird, yes.
  • Towels: we have "salt water" and "fresh water" towels….the cheap, thin ones are good- they dry faster! Lovely fat plush towels never dry and get musty. Fave freshwater towels are the chamois-like microfiber (www.neatitems.com). Takes a little getting used to- you pat dry instead of rubbing- but the work well, take little space, and dry quickly.
We have a couple of acoustic guitars on board. Not really taking special care of em, except to loosen strings when we were off the boat for a couple months last summer and it was HOT. SO far, so good, but I'm interested in other posts about how to better care for it.

Hope that helps!!

One family's nomadic journey:

behang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #18
Rear Admiral

Originally Posted by behang View Post
Totally agree w/ Lighthouse about knowing the space (and existing equipment) you will have to work with first, if you can…
We must have simpler tastes.....

With a top loading fridge and a suspended freezer box inside, our best addition to mico has been ICE CUBE FREEZER BAGS. Fill them up with water and just toss them in any old how as unlike an ice cube tray , each cube is contained within its own lil plastic pouch so you dont have to lay them flat. Most supermarkets now stock them and it sure as heck makes the ritual G&T as the sun go down a delight

oh....did I mention the chockie?
mico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:19 PM   #19
Home Port: Royston

A cordless drill with a bent piece of 1/4 inch stainless rod in the chuck, makes great mixer- blender.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:01 PM
This message has been deleted by redbopeep.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:09 PM
This message has been deleted by redbopeep.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:55 AM   #20
Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

AnaLog that's a funny post. I'm chuckling. Thanks. LOL
"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #21
Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Stand Easy and now Eleuthera as well

Can I have some of what helped that post be created Analog. Brilliant.

Oldsquizzy is offline   Reply With Quote