Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-02-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello boaty folks!

We're working our way across the Pacific (currently in Fiji) and decided to make Sydney our end-of-season destination. I've been reading up on the stringent customs guidelines for entering Australia and looking at our provisions, and seeing a LOT of beans we need to use before we get there.

Can y'all help me with ideas to expand my bean recipe repertoire? N need to use up quite a few kilos in the next ~2 months! I adore garbanozos so we'll eat those, no problem... but there are more lentils, navy beans, and pinto type beans than I can come up with recipes for right now. Help me break out of my rut- I almost always do the following:

lentils- a basic stew with root veggies as available

navy beans- a white bean ragout with sage, and sausage if we can find it

pinto beans- become frijoles like we used to get in Mexico, and put on tostadas

My access to the usual spectrum of fresh produce is pretty limited here in south pac islands... but we're good at getting creative with substitutes.

Can anyone help me break out of my bean recipe rut?

Thanks all!

Behan

www.sv-totem.com

One family's nomadic journey:

https://www.sv-totem.com
behang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:10 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

You can make a very good chili with lentils. Just use your normal recipe but use the lentils instead of other beans. You can also do lentil/tomato soup which is good and lentils manage quite nicely as a base with curry sause. In that case think of your lentils as rice that you'd put the curry on. We happen to enjoy plain lentil soup quite a lot, so maybe we're just boring.

Pinto beans--with basil (even dry basil) makes a nice bean soup that you can serve with fresh bread/corn bread/biscuits etc.

That's all I can think of. Good luck!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:11 AM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by behang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by behang View Post
We're working our way across the Pacific (currently in Fiji) and decided to make Sydney our end-of-season destination. I've been reading up on the stringent customs guidelines for entering Australia and looking at our provisions, and seeing a LOT of beans we need to use before we get there.

Can y'all help me with ideas to expand my bean recipe repertoire? N need to use up quite a few kilos in the next ~2 months! I adore garbanozos so we'll eat those, no problem... but there are more lentils, navy beans, and pinto type beans than I can come up with recipes for right now. Help me break out of my rut- I almost always do the following:

lentils- a basic stew with root veggies as available

navy beans- a white bean ragout with sage, and sausage if we can find it

pinto beans- become frijoles like we used to get in Mexico, and put on tostadas

How about a 3 bean pasta salad? For me there is no set recipe for this. Cook the beans to soften as needed and then add to Rotini (or other available pasta), Splash on some oil, vinegar and whatever spices you have around, chopped onion, peppers, mushrooms, chopped cooked shrimp. Whatever you have that suits your tastebuds.

Good luck and fair winds.

Jim Chapman

s/v Shadowfax, Key Largo, FL, USA

1972 Coronado 35 Ketch
Old 09-03-2010, 05:44 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Home Port: Hull
Vessel Name: Tadpole

I have no recipes to add to this thread ... instead I wish to pass on my own dried pulses methodology ... I found that the usual way of long soaking with several changes of water followed by long slow cooking was too much of a pain ... instead I put the dried beans or lentils into my thermos flask, fill with boiling water, lid on tight & leave unopened for several hours ( chick peas & red beans need longer than lentils or navy beans & may need a second fill of boiling water ) ... upon opening the contents are cooked, soft & ready to add to whatever dish-of-the-day ...

As an afterthought ... you may wish to experiment with sprouting some of your dried pulses ... green lentils & chick peas are particularly good for sprouting as are, of course, mung beans which turn into Chinese Beansprouts ..... many other seeds are good for sprouting too & produce crispy fresh sprouts which can be eaten as a salad, added to soups & stews or thrown into a stirfry ...
Old 09-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
Rear Admiral

[size="3"]G'day all on board SV Totem form Cairns, Qld Aussie-land. What an absolutely wonderful web-site you have. I'm so impressed & I've only just started getting into it. WOW. & Thank-you so much for sharing with us all!!!!! Now on to lentils, beans etc. Soak all the afore-mentioned in 1/2 fresh water & 1/2 vodka & try that - if not to your satisfaction just keep adding more vodka - eventually it'll taste -GREAT - I'm sure. Only a joke, however while I'm doing that I also cook them & add any kind of seasoning into the cooking, drain them, cool them & add them to salad or any available substitute. Keep an open mind & remember to try everything. Cause sure as eggs are 'bumb-nuts' - Australian Customs will take everything & destroy all. Very strict is not the half of it. They can be quite a pain but THEY are the law & they know it. Smile a lot, keep smiling, & say YES a lot & do remember to give them at least 92 hrs warning of your impending arrival if not more. Oh & remember to come in normal business hours or you'll probably have to pay for expensive overtime. The port you choose to arrive at, will give you their hours of operation. Good luck & do keep in touch with all of us as there are lots of people in these 'forums' that will help out with all the correct procedures.

Ciao from down-under james aka jj aka Silver Raven & Great sailing until y'all arrive safely. Good winds speed to SV Totem !!Click image for larger version

Name:	Missy Q and James 14.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	1478
Old 09-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Admiral

How about 3 bean salad? Usually you can substitute any firm bean. Traditionally, canned green beans, kidney beans and garbanzo beans. Note, though, that this salad probably won't taste very good without the sugar. Even I, who usually dislikes just about everything sweet, likes it in this salad. I also added chopped red pepper (red capsicum). Some recipes call for chopped green pepper.

Three Bean Salad Recipe

Ingredients

1 15-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained

1 15-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained

2 celery stalks, chopped fine

1/2 red onion, chopped fine

1 cup fresh, finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

1 Tbsp fresh finely chopped rosemary

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup olive oil

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Method

1 In a large bowl, mix the beans, celery, onion, parsley and rosemary.

2 In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the dressing to the beans. Toss to coat.

3 Chill beans in the refrigerator for several hours, to allow the beans to soak up the flavor of the dressing.

Serves 4 to 8.

And how about bean soup using up that canned chinese pork?

You also know that Australia will confiscate your canned ham, canned Spam, canned pork & beans, right? You'll be really annoyed when, after having disposed of all that stuff, you'll find it in some of the markets in Oz.

Also, Australian mayonnaise and ketchup is very, very sweet. You have to read labels very carefully. The mayonnaise imported from Canada, the US, or France will be as you're used to is.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:35 AM   #7
Ensign

Just popping back in to say THANK YOU for all the ideas. We've used up a lot of beans in the last two months! JeanneP, the three-bean salad is the biggest hit. Easy to use different kind of beans but best when we found lots of gorgeous (fresh) green beans in Vanuatu to mix with our dried navy beans and garbanzos. The key is the sugar, not something I would have considered in a salad especially in that amount but the kids just inhale it... so I can't argue!! It's delish!! We're in Noumea now, waiting for a weather window to cross to Australia, and I've got a pre-made stash of it ready for the passage...

thanks all,

Behan

www.sv-totem.com

One family's nomadic journey:

https://www.sv-totem.com
behang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:16 AM   #8
Ensign

HI,

You can always sprout those extra lentils and have a fresh salad (or topping) instead of beans

Enjoy!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
Admiral

Brining beans?

Someone recently suggested that when you soak your dried beans, add salt. This goes against most wisdom re: beans, but it worked!! 1 lb. dried beans, 3 tbsp. table salt (or 6 tbsp. kosher) 4 qts water. soak 8 or up to 24 hrs, drain and rinse beans to get all salt off. Then cook as usual depending on type of bean till tender in unsalted water. They came out perfectly for baked beans (even tho their recipe was for tuscan bean soup...). Very tender and creamy and few "exploded" beans.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
Ensign

Good thing to help soften beans and make them more digestible ( helps avoid flatulence) is to put some Kombu ( seaweed) in when you soke the beans for 24 hrs /over night. Take out the sea weed before you boil the beans. The stuff in the sea weed ( minerals etc) help break down the beans.
For making a bean curry use any beans you have, mix them up some - add lentils, all the normal salt pepper. Boil them up. mean while stir-fry any veg you have .add herbs to taste and like wise curry powder or a few table spoons of any hot curry condiment. ( I add Mango Pickle etc) Par Boil potatoes or other root veg. Drain the water of the beans and add all the stir fry veg. Serve with rice for the veggys amongst us and goes well with meat BBQ for all you carnivorous people out there
Old 02-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
Ensign

Home Port: To Be Determined

To make dried beans very soft all a small amount of baking soda (1/4 tsp) or less to the water when cooking. My understanding is that it helps them to asorb more water into the cell structures.

JP
JPPonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #12
drying out for a bit

Home Port: Sitka
Vessel Name: N/A

When I lived in Haleiwa on the North Shore of Oahu in Hawaii, the old folks used to raise fighting chickens for cockfighting. This was back in the '60's so it was still a cultural activity and not yet politically incorrect. Anyway, the loser of the fight became dinner, but the stringy chicken was no fun to eat unless he was cooked with a green papaya. Enzymes break down the protein. Works for beans, too, and they are less musical.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:49 PM   #13
Commander

Home Port: Royston

Get "The Bean Book" by Rose Elliot, an excellent source of bean recipies.