Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
Swab

Home Port: Honolulu
Vessel Name: Lealea
Default Thanksgiving Dinner?

We had been invited to dinner with some recent aquaintences but received a phone call this morning saying dinner was off due to the illness of a close friend.

Dinner on the boat instead....LOL, whats new.

I plan to pick up a couple of cornish hens and make them in our pressure cooker along with an assortment of sweet potatoes, carrots and cranberry sauce. For dessert I'm thinking about caramalizing some red pears to drizzle over vanilla ice cream. With no oven I've gotten pretty inventive over the years.

Our Thanksgiving is usually spent quietly on the boat watching movies and enjoying each other's company.

What do you have planned?

Mate1860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:08 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

yum I'll be over...oh, I suppose it's a bit far...

We've been invited to Thanksgiving by some local boaters here in the California Delta. They're doing the big day on Saturday to accommodate work and travel schedules of some of their extended family. Should be fun since we've learned the woman who invited us has Thanksgiving as her favorite day of the year--she cooks a million and one things (this must be why she invites EVERYONE! to eat all that stuff) and decorates galore.

Normally, we're on the boat. We do have an oven so I usually have a baking spree. Having said that, when we lived in Japan for a couple years, we had no oven and I had to get real creative to cook traditional baked goods. I devised an oven from a large stockpot with a smaller one (with the cake) inside it and balanced on a grate keeping it about 1" above the bottom. I put water in the bottom and this was a double-boiler/oven set up. Worked great and even though the inner pot was sealed, it was the most moist cakes I could have made) . I also baked boneless chicken breasts on top a bed of stuffing (seriously) by making a big double-walled aluminum foil tent over the same stockpot/water but the balanced pot was an open 8" aluminum cake pan. It was really yummy.

I did finally figure out that I could bake inside a Weber charcoal grill (we had one with us in Japan) so I did a Turkey our second Thanksgiving there (got the Turkey at a military base in Japan since hubby was active duty at the time). You could consider asking your various friends if any of them can lend you a Weber charcoal grill and you could cook Cornish hens/Chicken/Turkey at the dock (yes, in the snow) by your boat.

I do a great "one pot Thanksgiving" which is pre-cooked turkey or chicken, cubed, a yummy stuffing made by cheating a Stovetop Sage stuffing mix with walnuts, apple bits, dried cranberries, chopped green-beans, and chopped onions. You mix it (everything is pre-cooked) all together, oil the bottom of a thick frypan (or a well seasoned omelette pan), put it in the frypan and cook at the lowest temperature you've got on the stove. After 15-30 minutes (depending on how "low" you can get it) you'll have a crust (not burnt) on the bottom of this stove-top casserole and it seems oven-made when you pop it out (upside down) onto a plate. Drizzle with some gravy and it's an all-in-one Thanksgiving meal.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote