Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Ensign

Having recently completed the first leg of a circumnavigation on my Daughter/son-in-laws 45 Cat. I have now returned to Cape Town and have just received this email from them. SY Shimmi is curently in Panama about to depart to Galapagos then to the Marquesas Islands......................

We are thinking of speeding up our south pacific departure even more, so that we can be in the Marquesas by mid March which is the very earliest which one can arrive in the south pac i.t.o. hurricane season. Its going to take some doing for us to get to Indo by December this year...getting from the south pacific to Bali via Papa New Guinea is further than I thought...Bali is really our only option for flying home (its the only place to fly from and more importantly its the only place where we can cheaply and safely leave shimmi)...just thinking out loud...Trevor: can you maybe check if you can find any blogs etc of yachts that have sailed to Indo from Fiji - Vanuatu - Solomons - PNG - Bali...this is the route around the 'top' of Papa New Guinea which is on the equator, no hurricane risk but also very little tradewinds to speed up our progress. We cant go via Darwin as there are hurricanes there from December onwards...

The more I plan the details of our passage, the more I realize it will be crazy for us to try and get to Bali by late Dec, pack shimmi away and fly home during peak season...It is simply not feasible to get across to Pacific and around to Bali by the year's end. We must do the south pacific at the correct and safe pace.

I'm sure that many have done this trip and look foward to your suggestions which Ican pass onto SY SHIMMI

Many thanks

Trevor Wilkins

Past GM Royal Cape Yacht Club

Cape Town

South Africa

Tags
fiji