Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-24-2007, 11:07 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

After some waiting, the new line of GME PLBs are now available. Apparently GME spent some months waiting for COPAS/SARSAT approval. I picked up a new MT410G (the one with the GPS on board) from Whitworths today after ordering it early last week.

If you're switching over to 406MHz model EPIRB/PLBs, these are the cheapest ones around at the moment.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
After some waiting, the new line of GME PLBs are now available. Apparently GME spent some months waiting for COPAS/SARSAT approval. I picked up a new MT410G (the one with the GPS on board) from Whitworths today after ordering it early last week.

If you're switching over to 406MHz model EPIRB/PLBs, these are the cheapest ones around at the moment.
Delatbabel,

I always feel that I have spelt it wrong ! thanks for the info ! What exactly will this MT410G do

i addition to GPS tracking ?

Richard

Old 08-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Delatbabel,

I always feel that I have spelt it wrong ! thanks for the info ! What exactly will this MT410G do

i addition to GPS tracking ?

Richard
It's basically a personal EPIRB (PL so if the worst thing happens and your boat sinks or you go overboard, you pull out the antenna and it notifies the authorities (via satellite) that you need rescue. The old analog (243MHz) EPIRBs are being phased out, they will all stop working in 2009. Also there are no geostationary satellites for them, so you could be in the water for an hour or so before a satellite picks up your beacon, and even then it will only locate you to 20km or so.

The 406MHz EPIRBs will locate you to about 5km or so and work off a grid of geostationary satellites, so the EPIRB signal will be detected within a few minutes. The ones like the MT410G with a built in GPS will send a GPS position along with your distress signal, so you are located to within 45m. Obviously this means you will get found faster.

Previously, the 406MHz beacons have been prohibitively expensive -- $1000+. The new GME ones are much cheaper, around the $399 mark for the non-GPS ones or $550 for the GPS ones.