Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Brooklyn (Sydney)
Vessel Name: Yantara

Hi

I am planning to bring my boat from Hamilton Island to Pitwater next year as it will be leaving the Sunsail fleet. I want as far as possible to do it in a series of day sails.

I have seen Zigzag's post in this forum under "Sailing from Proserpine to Brisbane" which covers half the distance, and was very useful as I've been pouring over Alan Lucas's "Cruising the Coral Coast", and the post helped resolve some of the things I wasn't sure about.

Wondering if anyone has similar insights for the rest of the distance between Brisbane and Pittwater?

I have a few months, and am enjoying the planning.

Cheers

Old 09-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Hi,

I've done this sail a few times. It's a pretty easy going trip, and gets easier as you head south as the winds swing more NW/NE'ly (well, in the summer they do anyway). Don't try it too early in the sailing season as the big southerlies can come up in a hurry even as late as October as you head into NSW waters. We got almost knocked flat several times by one and that was in a heavy cruising boat. Eventually turned for Ballina to weather it out.

Coming down in November it was a very cruisy sail though. Enjoy the trip.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
Commander

You may have already done the trip so for others planning the route let me add, the run down is best in spring/summer after the southerlies have finished. It can be almost day sailed with river or protected bay anchorages. From Brisbane if your draft is less than 6 feet you can travel inside Moreton and Stradbroke Islands to the Gold Coast via the main channel. There is not a lot to steer clear of with attention to clearing Seal Rocks being the main one.

Details are available if required, enjoy the trip down and the great scenery,

Regards

Peter
Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: Brooklyn (Sydney)
Vessel Name: Yantara

We haven't started the trip yet, as a matter of fact we go up to Hamilton Island in only 12 days time, and will spend a little time getting the boat ready, before heading down the coast a couple of weeks later, so we are very excited, this being our first adventure outside of fairly protected charter cruising grounds.

The biggest challenge so far has been getting the gear we want on the boat up to Hamilton Island, but the last hurdle cleared only yesterday when we managed to arrange to get the batteries we want up there. While we have owned the boat for 5 years, and know her well, she has been a charter boat in the Sunsail fleet, which has been a great experience as we have had reciprocals all over the world in the 5 years, and always on a sister to "Stealing Beauty". Still, it does mean that we have to upgrade some of the equipment as she is now out of charter, ready to move to her new home in The Hawkesbury River in NSW.

We are aiming to do the coastal trip in day sails as far as possible, but we know that we will have to manage some overnight passages. We have plenty of time, so will hopefully be able to wait out any bad weather.

So for us the adventure begins. An adventure that we have been looking forward to for years. We bought the boat, and put it into charter service so that we would take it back just as we planned to be able to retire, or at least semi-retire. So a coastal journey as a start, and we will see how we go, and perhaps venture further afield in the future.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

I wish you many years of happy sailing. Please let us know how it goes.

Fair winds.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:02 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

If you need crew for any part of the journey let me know, I may be able to help out.

Tags
island