Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-30-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi,

We are planning to visit the Great Sandy Strait area. (Based Urangan). Can anyone point me in the correct direction (either by posting details or link to other info).
  • Good spots to visit on the west coast of Fraser
  • Any local knowledge that could be useful
Thanks,

Rodney

18' Monohull - Swing keel.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Rod,

I have sent a PM to one of our members 'Bedouin' whose boat is currently moored in Hervey Bay. He sails the east coast on a permanent basis. He is 'down south' at the moment, but should be online in the next few days. I am sure he will be be happy to pass on his expertise on the local area. Meanwhile, check the local chandleries for 'Cruising the Coral Coast' and '100 Magic Miles'.

Best wishes

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:04 AM   #3
muz
Ensign

Wathumba creek (not sure of the spelling) on the west side of fraser, east side of hervey bay is a top spot. It had a shallow entrance which was only marked by a buoy when I was there sept 06. There is a small area that is quite deep around 4m just inside the creek then it is mainly all shallow with many dry areas at low tide. The deep area probably wouldn't be well protected in developed westerly weather but if you can take the bottom ok ,you could move into the shallow area and dry out. Otherwise great in anything from SE TO NE It is mainly clean white sand, clear water and very pretty.

There are many good anchorages in the straits . Queensland Transport produce 2 very good charts which cover the great sandy straits that are available at most chandlerys in the area. Most anchorages are shown as well as services in the small mainland towns down the straits.

'Cruising the coral coast' also has usefull info for the area.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:53 AM   #4
Ensign

Thanks all!

Someone mentioned to my wife that there is 'lots' of sharks in the Great Sandy Straits.

Now, not that it's a problem for me, as long as they stay in the water we should be 'all good' - but, is there any substance to this that would make it 'unusually' unsafe for swiming?

Oh... and in your opinion, which is the best marina to base at? Tin Can Bay or Urangan? (Are there two marinas at Urangan with facilities?)

Thanks,

R D
Old 10-04-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
Commander

Hello Rodzoz, I regard the sandy straights as my back yard and Tin Can Bay as my home port. I spend a few months on and off over the year there. Snapper Creek is no longer available for anchoring but opposite the entrance to Snapper Creek is plenty of room with depths to suit all. Tin Can Bay has a welcoming atmosphere with Barnackle's Cafe next to the Coast Guard a favourite meeting place for cruisers. Supplie and needs are available readily in the village.

Urangan has one marina with berths only. Urangan is one of the suburbs that make up Hervey Bay which is very tourist orientated mainly for whale watching.

There are many places to overnight on the western side of Fraser Island and in the Sandy Straights. There is not much point in giving you names unless you can locate them on a map or book of some type. If your limiting your travels to the Tin Can Bay to Urangan region an overkill would be Brownies Beacon to Beacon. Overkill because it covers from the Gold Coast to Bundy, more than you need maybe; but it is excellent for detail and value.

Sharks are no more a problem in the sandy straights or hervey bay than any other coastal area. Use common sense, don't swim early morning, late afternoon or if the water is dirty. It is salt water and open to the ocean so obviously there are sharks but I've only seen them up towards Roonies.

Auzzee sent me an email about you so if you need an answer to any questions on the area drop me an email to bedouin@hotkey.net.au

Regards

Peter
Old 10-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
muz
Ensign

I think there are 2 marinas within urangan boat harbour , the Great Sandy Straits marina. is on the northern end while the other is on the southern end. I can't think of the name of it but it is named on the Qld Trans chart as well as Beacon to beacon I think.

Some other good anchorages are Nth white cliffs ,Sth white cliffs , a few areas in the sheridan flats area are nice and can be isolated but watch depths and current (the tides from north and south meet here and can be a bit confusing in places),also Gary's anchorage is very popular spot with all round protection. Just south of Gary's against Fraser there are a couple of nice spots in a SE 'er opposite the 3 green beacons in a row, but I can't think of the name of the area ( sorry ,at home at the moment ,charts are on the boat.) .

Pelican bay at inslip point is good and if you go right in there is a pretty little beach in the south east corner. Again watch the depth. There are usually some crab pots around that may indicate the chanel and probably a few campers here as well.

A bit further south is T bar Ck. which is a bit of a favourite . If you continue up the creek past 2 large moorings (blue plastic 44 gal drums for the houseboats) and head diagonally across the creek towards the north bank there is a sandy beach with a deep spot in front which is nice .Beware of rocks out from the beach (marked on chart). West of here is a military training area and occaisionally at night there can be some tracer flying around in the distance. Kind of interesting....?

If you go to Tin Can Bay check out the yacht club on norman point at the entrance to snapper ck. near the boat ramp www.tcbyc.yachting.org.au There is also a public jetty here next to the ramp with a 1 hour limit .

If you feel like a break from sailing (??????) ,Kingfisher bay resort on fraser has day facilities with a bar and bisto and pool open to anyone. Can be a bit expensive though. Beware of drying the boat out on the beach on the north side of the jetty as ther are many areas of coffee rock .The other side south of their watersports area looks a bit clearer.

Like you I sail a centreboarder so some of these spots are shallow . The charts are usually accurate as well as lucas' Cruising the CC.

As Bedouin said I don't think sharks are any more plentiful here ,than anywhere else. I haven't seen any, but then I don't catch any fish either.

hope this helps

cheers
Old 10-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
Ensign

Cool

Thanks all so much, the information supplied has been very helpful in making some plans. Much appreciated!

R D

Tags
island