Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Ensign

Thumbs up

Hi all,

I am planning to head to the S.Pacific in late May, early June. That is also when I will be due for my third shot of my Hep B series. Does anyone know if I could readily get my 3rd Hep B shot in American Samoa, Western Samoa or Tonga, or even Fiji? Is it best to bring my own prescription or get one there?

Any advice would be great!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Admiral

Depending on how you are traveling - vaccines generally require refrigeration, therefore taking your own may present a problem.

For good information check CDC's website, they have in the past run a National Immunization Program in American Samoa :- CLICK HERE

Richard

Old 02-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
Admiral

From the CDC site, Hep B vaccination is "routinely given as three-dose series at 0, 1, and 6 months. Acceptable alternative schedules are 0, 1, 4 months and 0, 2, 4 months." **CDC Pub., Hep B

Have you discussed with your physician stepping up the vaccination schedule? *If you leave in May, just before your final vaccination, you would probably not arrive in American Samoa for at least 4 months from departure, and Fiji 3 months after that unless you were planning on zooming through the S. Pacific. *I do not think that such a long wait between second and third vaccination would be as acceptable as a shorter interim timed for before you left the US.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:05 AM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for the replies, the CDC links were very useful. I've emailed the American Samoan coordinator for info.

I was unaware that an alternate schedule was acceptable. I'll have to discuss that with my work's vaccine nurse, up until now, catching her in the hallways, she hasn't mentioned that option. (I'm getting the vaccines through work.)

I will be flying to American Samoa to meet the tallship Alvei if all plans work out, so I don't have the concern of a long gap bxt 2nd and 3rd shots.

I'll reply again with any info I get.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Ensign

I have somewhat gotten to the bottom of this. The schedule is not set in stone but the preferred is 0,1 and 6 months (for normal adults). Accelerated schedules are an option, but if you choose an accelerated schedule a fourth shot is recommended. Engerix[sup]®[/sup]-B has more alternative scheules listed than Recombivax HB[sup]®[/sup], but one can mix monovalent vaccines as long as the proper dosage is maintained.

Cdn Immunization Guide--Hep B

I did receive a quick email response from the vaccine coordinator in American Samoa, but not an informative one, and since I will be able to make the schedule here at home I didn't email further.

Thanks again,

Flatlander
Old 02-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
I will be flying to American Samoa to meet the tallship Alvei if all plans work out,
Not sure if the Alvei is the same boat that has caused some heartache - see the following :-

LINK
Old 02-20-2009, 12:15 AM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Not sure if the Alvei is the same boat that has caused some heartache - see the following :-

LINK
Yes, this is the same ship. They do make a point of emphasizing that their itineraries are approximate and that they are often late (lessons learned I suppose). I read thru the past discussions and it was a very interesting read. I was unable to find the Vol 18 Newsletter but did read the Alvei's account of the incident. Nothing I've read so far has discouraged me to change my plans but I always keep an open ear. The Captain's account doesn't seem contrived, but genuine, and his actions reasonable.

I don't know if nancygirl had not made contact with them via phone and/or radio or if she simply had not been in email contact with them.

(I myself did have issues getting a hold of them, via email, but that was/is a problem of the email server, not Alvei.)

My experience with the US Brig Niagara and the Picton Castle (and the Picton Castle tragedy thru the media) has given me a real appreciation of just how dedicated a Capt/owner has to be to be able to maintain a tallship when there is no government or larger organizational money behind them. I have not as yet gotten any word that Capt. Evan is a slouch in his seaman's skills and, as past discussion prove, everyone has a differing opinion as to what is reasonable behavior and reasonable risk-taking.

I do thank you for the heads up (it was an interesting forum read)

Flatlander
Old 02-20-2009, 04:47 AM   #8
Admiral

We spent a cyclone season in American Samoa back in '92/93, and most of the cruisers, including us, were pretty dismayed by the corruption that occurred. *Never mind the details, but I would not trust American Samoa to have any of the medications or vaccines you might need. *They ran out of everything. *Just before we arrived there was an epidemic of Ringworm because the pharmacy didn't have any anti-fungal medication in stock, and apparently they just never bothered to get any. **

I'll spare you the rant, just don't count on any services being readily available there.

I hope you have a wonderful time. *Check back with us after you've been sailing a while and tell us how it was. *We'd all love to hear a first-hand account of a voyage on Alvei.

Fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
med, pacific