Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-05-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
Ensign

Hey everybody! I am a lover of the ocean but not a sailor (yet). It would be great to get some advice for a new guy.

I am moving to AUS or NZ in mid-January to learn how to sail. I am a hard worker and have the passion to learn. I am looking to crew for a passage or potentially crew up with a race team that would take me in. It has been very hard to learn where boats are headed during that time of year or what my options would be. So my couple questions would be: Is looking for a boat to crew for a good way to learn some of the basics? In mid-late summer, Jan, Feb, March, what passages are typically made? (I would love to do NZ<--> AUS, AUS -->SoAfrica, AUS/NZ --> SE Asia) Thank you so much for any advice, words of wisdom, or other info!! Can't wait to get on the water somehow.

-Ian

Old 11-05-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcurtis View Post

Hey everybody! I am a lover of the ocean but not a sailor (yet). It would be great to get some advice for a new guy.

I am moving to AUS or NZ in mid-January to learn how to sail. I am a hard worker and have the passion to learn. I am looking to crew for a passage or potentially crew up with a race team that would take me in. It has been very hard to learn where boats are headed during that time of year or what my options would be. So my couple questions would be: Is looking for a boat to crew for a good way to learn some of the basics? In mid-late summer, Jan, Feb, March, what passages are typically made? (I would love to do NZ<--> AUS, AUS -->SoAfrica, AUS/NZ --> SE Asia) Thank you so much for any advice, words of wisdom, or other info!! Can't wait to get on the water somehow.

-Ian
Hello Ian

You will need to confirm the location where you wish to leave from.

Then have a look at our Crew Finders Forum.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Also see "Yacht Crew Information" on our Cruising Wiki - HERE

Good luck.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Admiral

Movements of yachts over oceans is dictated by weather, particularly the cyclone seasons, which occur during that hemisphere's summer So, from December through April or May, Australia and New Zealand yachts are staying close to home, with local regattas about the only movement there is.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sydney