Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel
Default Opinions on staying in the tropics through cyclone season

As I plan the logistics for next year's cruising, I'm considering the options of staying in the tropics for cyclone season vs taking the boat south to NZ.

By November next year I plan to be in or around Vanuatu. I guess my options are either: Stay in Vanuatu, hoping to find somewhere safe to moor/anchor/berth the boat or put it on the hard stand through the cyclone season, head back to somewhere on the Qld coast (either Brisbane, Bundaberg or possibly Cairns), or head south to NZ for the cyclone season.

It appears that many boats make the trip south to NZ and the thing that deters me is hearing the horror stories of bad weather/lost boats on that trip.

So I'm considering leaving the boat in Vanuatu or nearby (which could be New Caledonia or Fiji). Over that season I would be away working for the months from November to April so I would need to leave the boat unattended with possible occasional visits.

The alternative of course is to sail back to Australia where I could berth the boat in Brisbane or points further north.

Does anyone have any opinions on the practicalities of doing this?

Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
Commander

Home Port: Hobart
Vessel Name: Honey Bee

Hmm, notice Queensland this last cyclone season?

On a more positive note, a lot of boats get left on the hard in Noumea. They may get a cyclone, but I doubt the hard stand would flood.
Page nouville plaisance

Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sooke
Send a message via MSN to BJSmith

Vunda Point Marina near Nadi, Fiji is reasonably safe. They dig a hole in the ground and set you down on old tires. Cyclone Evan ripped through there in January and no one really had problems. Price is reasonable. The international airport is close by.

Noumea as noted above is safe the travell lift takes you onto a concrete hard stand area sets you in a steel adjustable cradle and the boat is tied down to iron rings imbedded in the concrete. Never heard of any problems there in a cyclone. Bit pricy though.

Port Villa Vanuatu has a gravel hard stand area to store boats. Never heard of any serious problems there in a cyclone. Price is reasonable.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #4

Thanks for the information BJ, I'll contact those places and see what they have to offer. Noumea does sound the best option from a safety point of view, I like the idea of iron rings but it may depend on price. I'd like to be well past Fiji by November but if that's the best option it's a candidate as well.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
Admiral

Friends of ours haved lived in Vila, Vanuatu for quite a few years now and have hauled their boat every cyclone season. I'm not sure if they still do this. Gary Vasconcellos and Ingrid, boat's name is OBSESSION.
here's a link from Ingrid's Facebook page, Port Vila Boatyard

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:15 AM   #6

Latest update on that is that I have decided on the Port Vila boatyard to haul out for the cyclone season. My insurance company (Pantaenius) seem happy with that so it's all good for me.