Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Indianapolis
Default Palmyra Atoll Digital Archive

Greetings! I curate the Palmyra Atoll Digital Archive, and we're always looking for stories of visits to Palmyra, especially those prior to 2000. Just wanted to share the archive for anyone interested and see if anyone had stories they'd like to share. Thanks!

Old 02-25-2017, 10:22 PM   #2
Commander

Home Port: Royston

Its too bad they put Palmyra off limits to all but the rich. Sailed past it, and had to go non stop from Tonga to BC. A stop there would have been nice. They totally ignore international law on this matter. When I got home, they sent me an email asking for donations, for their Nature Conservancy organization. You can imagine my response. If I won millions in the lottery, I wouldn't give them a cent of it, but would consider funding a legal challenge, to clean out their funds.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:59 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Take a look on World Cruising and Sailing Wiki (at the top of this page). There is some information on Palmyra. We would appreciate your input to the page if you have anything relevant to cruising sailors.
Looks like a nice place, but with only two boats allowed at a time, it is unlikely to become a sailing hub.

It seems there are some serious restrictions to entry. It reminds me, therefore, of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
Commander

Home Port: Royston

They want horrendous fees for permission to stop there, arranged months in advance, making it off limits to all but the rich. If you are forced to stop due to an emergency, they don't recognize, nor follow international law, in this regard.
If it is a life or death situation, tough luck ! No money? Go ahead and die.
No help here!
I intend to boycott the Nature Conservancy for life.

Tags
arc