Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
Ensign

Unhappy

hello there,

I have been told that looking for a boat sailing to the Pacific, my best odds are to go to Colon and ask around. But where in Colon? Any idea what shipyard or mooring? As a tour guide I visit regularly the Locks at Miraflores. Never seen any sailing boat passing there so I wonder. Is it worth going there? Any chance of actually finding a boat or is it better to position my self on the Pacific side?

Any tip much appreciated

Old 02-06-2011, 03:01 AM   #2
Admiral

Colon is on the Atlantic side of the canal. There are two yacht clubs there where you could find boats waiting to pass through the canal. or anchored on the flats. We picked up two line handlers there who were trekking through Central and S. America and wanted the experience of going through the canal. Nice fellows. We weren't looking for crew, but thought it would be fun to bring them along through the canal.

It's really a pretty trip.

I'd post my name and particulars on both sides of the canal. There's a train that takes you across the land. I hope you have references with you. Crossing the Pacific is a long trip for strangers to take one another on faith alone.

good luck.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Ensign

hello Jeanne,

I am in Colon now. It is good to know that the yacht club (PCYC) is closed since last year so there is two alternatives: the Nautica on the east side of the city and Cherma, on the west side of the canal. (quite far: a taxi to get there costs 25$) I have had so far 3 offers from crewfinders (but not this one) and tomorrow I get onboard the french ketch My Way bond to the Galapagos and New Caledonia.

My advice to crew looking for a boat: make sure you have a firm meeting as Colon is quite a nasty place and hotels are expensive. Better stay in Panama city and put adds at the Balboa Club (to go east) or at the drugstore at Amador (to go west)

cheers

Greg

Old 04-21-2011, 04:07 AM   #4
Admiral

Greg,

Thank you for keeping us posted. I'm sorry, I should have mentioned just how nasty Colon could be.

No stops between the Galapagos and New Caledonia? Enjoy, and

Fair Winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
Ensign

hello,

yes, Colon is indeed a kind of tropical nightmare. Not too much choice for sailboats. Wether the Nautica, with very little room to moor and no wharf, or Cherma (Shelter Bay) with wharf but no mooring and quite expensive (1.2$ per foot per day). Both with very poor (but overpriced) facilities. The Nautica is in front of the contener port so it is very noisy and the numerous pilot boats pass by at ten knots, not bothering to slowdown for “yate” as they call it, sending everything rocking.

We’ve made it to Panama after 15 days waiting! We set sail tomorrow

After the Galapagos we should stop at the Marquises and Tahiti.

cheers

Greg, on board the ketch My Way 1

Tags
canal, panama