Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #15
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Don't see why anyone would make such a dumb comment about such an old post.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #16
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Why would anyone want to visit an uptight country like this ...... BECAUSE ITS WORTH IT.

You have to notify a minimum of 96 hours ahead of arrival...thats a minimum ...you can notify a week ahead or 10 days ahead. You can arrive after your arrival time without much legal trouble although some officers may grumble a bit....

Old 03-24-2013, 02:48 AM   #17
Ensign

Home Port: Palatka

Hey Auzzee, Read a lot of your other posts, thought you OK. What difference how old the thread if your gov hasn't changed. Consider small (24-30) boats. Fancy fax systems and SAT phones don't figure into things. Normally you sail in to a protected area and anchor or tie up , fly Q flag, and wait for official instructions. You notice I don't compare with U S.
It still stands, why go where oppressive attitudes are forced on you?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:32 AM   #18
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I agree entirely with not going where there is oppression. But, one negative post from three years ago is not indicative of systemic oppression. Hundreds of yachts clear into and out of Oz every year and most find the officials pleasant and courteous.

It must be said that as we are so close to south east Asia the exotic threats are numerous. As an island nation, we manage to avoid a lot of nasty imports. Quarantine and Customs are charged, by the Australian public, with being vigilant and efficient. Because we, as yotties, can be a pretty laid back bunch, their vigilance can be misinterpreted especially by those whose first impression is formed by meeting with these officials.

Your original conjecture concerned the country being 'uptight'. I can't think of many people who have visited Australia who would provide such a description.

I think that to make a judgement based on one old post with no corroborating support, is at the very least, hasty.

I should have not called your comment dumb as it was merely ill informed and I apologise if I offended you.

I recently had the experience of applying for a six month visa through the US Consulate. I had a frustrating experience in that it took four months to get the visa. The official I dealt with left me with, what has turned out to be, a completely false impression of American people. So, in retrospect, I understand where you are coming from.
Best wishes.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:58 AM   #19
Commander

Home Port: Hobart
Vessel Name: Honey Bee

The original comments may be old, but there other similar stories floating around that impact on peoples decisions as to where to spend the cyclone season as they near the end of their Pacific crossing. The overall result is that Australian maritime businesses miss out and NZ benefits.

A quick look at the Coastal Passage website gives a few of these stories (Australian Customs Report ). Obviously, this is one somewhat biased perspective, but the stories are there.

People traveling to Australia by yacht are treated very differently from those flying in and to no obvious benefit to Australia.

I too have had nothing but good experiences with Customs staff, most recently the people at Newcastle and Coffs Harbour were outstandingly helpful and friendly, but the outrageous AQIS charges and stories like the above do nothing for Australia's image abroad.

Meanwhile, stories like this: Customs officials face court over corruption charges - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) have been common lately. Leaves me wondering if the whole thing with yachts is meant as a distraction.

Of course, once you get passed the official hurdles (and its not too hard), Australia is anything but up tight and there are fabulous cruising grounds. I think it would just be a little better if we went out of our way to make people welcome. 99% of boats are innocent travelers bringing heaps of spending money to the countries they choose to visit and a more positive official approach would help.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #20
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Time for everyone to stop bitching I think. As responsible cruising yachties, when we visit any country, we first do a little research and find out what the entry requirements are for that country then we do our best to adhere to those requirements.

The requirements for entering Australia may be a little more stringent than some countries but are far more relaxed than others. (Try Indonesia ...). It is up to us to comply with those requirements and for christs sake stop bitching when you haven't done the right thing and got caught out.

The requirement is ... notification a minimum of 96 hours prior to arrival.... so notify them a week or 10 days ahead... don't be a jerk and say you can't notify 96 hours out cause you are in a remote area or in the middle of the Coral Sea.

There is nothing wrong with Australian Customs and Immigration officers, for the most part they are doing their job and are adhering to the rules and regulations set down for them to follow. Yes sometimes personalities come into play, but have you thought they might also be reacting to the way you present yourself.... can't be that you have a bad attitude ... heaven forbid, all us yachties are saints arnt we.

I am not Australian by birth but have adopted this great country and I am sick of people complaining instead of looking at their own short comings and doing something about correcting them.

If you don't come to Australia, you really are missing out on some fantastic and unique cruising grounds that are well worth the effort of adhering to Australian entry requirements to enjoy .

As to the malcontents ... go to New Zealand or go to H*** ... we don't want you here anyway.

Lexx
Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #21
Commander

Home Port: Hobart
Vessel Name: Honey Bee

I strongly agree that, if you are intending to visit any country, you are mad not to check out the rules and then comply with them. Anything else risks you losing your boat and maybe your freedom.

At the same time, there is no reason why citizens within our country should not endeavour to ensure that our bureaucracies behave in a way that complies with community standards. Critical scrutiny of the behaviour of public officials at all levels is essential in a healthy democracy.

Tags
australia