Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Ensign

I'm a new member of cruiserlog. I sailed recently to the Bahamas from Florida and expect to cruise there for a year with frequent returns to the Tampa area. I'd appreciate any suggestions about good places to leave the boat for a few weeks at a time in the Northern and Middle areas of the Bahamas. My sailboat is 30' and has a 5'5" keel. I'm trying to keep my expenses down but I want to keep my boat safe. Right now it is in Marsh Harbour and I'll do a little more sailing in the Abacos and then head to the Berrys.

A mooring ball somewhere on New Providence island a cab ride to the airport would be ideal.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Ensign

Security is always an issue in the Bahamas. Although there is very little violent crime, common theft is always a problem. Some places in the Bahamas are worse than others with Nassau (New Providence Island) and Freeport (Grand Bahama Island) being the worst. A place that is one of our favorites in the Bahamas and one that you might consider is Harbor Island. It is off the North East corner of Elutheria. Between Harbor Island and Elutheria there is a very large sound that can accommodate many anchored boats and in many places is very good holding. It is easy to take a short ferry (10 - 15 minutes) from Harbor Island to Elutheria and pick up a cab ride to the Elutheria airport. Harbor Island has the casual atmosphere of a "family island", but is large enough to have resources like restaurants, bars, hardware store, small grocery stores, nightlife, etc.

To get to Harbor Island you must first go to Spanish Wells and hire a pilot to take you through the "devils backbone" - a congestion of coral heads a reefs to Harbor Island. The fee is small and conversation with the pilot on the way makes the trip interesting.

Mike

Tags
bahamas