Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Admiral

This is the link to the report at Latitude 38 Savage beating

This is so distressing to me, I can't imagine how terrifying it had to have been. I can't remember any reports of problems in Martinique so this is especially surprising to me.

Only an intrusion alarm might have saved him. I am starting to think it's time to design a good one for a boat.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Horrible story.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
Ensign

Rat Bastards !!!

Caljoe

caljoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Boomerang!

Home Port: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Boomerang!

Absolutely unbelievable; And in Martinique, too...one of the friendliest of the islands. I spent a over year in that area of the Caribbean several years ago on my boat and never once had anything happen that frightened or bothered me.

This is just one more in a long list of justifications to have weapons on board....not that they may have helped in this situation, but with the alarm system JeanneP is going to develop for us all.

BTW, no flames please, not even remotely interested in baseless liberal opinion....

S/V Boomerang!

1980 Cal 39 Mark II

St Michaels, MD
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
Admiral

Well, Latitude38 posted a correction. The attack happened in St. Martin, in Simpson Bay Lagoon.

That makes a lot more sense, though no less horrifying. However, as pertinent as Lat38's comments are in their correction, poverty is not really the issue here. Drugs, politics, and the island's success as a tourist destination all have a part in the problems in the island, and not much different from many other popular tourist destinations, including Nassau, Bahamas and Miami, Florida.

What we built for sv Watermelon was a pressure-pad connected to a car alarm. Anybody who stepped into the cockpit would step on this pressure pad, which switched on a loud car alarm. Noise draws attention, is anathema to the sneak thief. Back then we didn't have the energy or the resources to also rig up a flashing light to go on with the alarm. That would have really been a wowser.

We had rejected a motion alarm or laser alarm because too many things, particularly big flying insects and birds, could set it off. The advantage of the pressure pad was that it needed a lot more pressure than a "critter" could exert. It was passive, the car alarm part had a remote, it was quite neat. And nobody would know about it, or see it, or be able to avoid it.

Okay, a more ambitious person than me can patent it and I'll just take the bows.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP' date='08 July 2010 - 01:04 AM View Post

What we built for sv Watermelon was a pressure-pad connected to a car alarm.

[...]

Okay, a more ambitious person than me can patent it and I'll just take the bows.
Fortunately no one can patent it after you have disclosed the idea, not even you.

Patent law is not for ordinary people having good ideas and getting rich out of them (this happens, but it is the exception, not the rule), but for big enterprises to get rid of competition. Patent law is responsible for hundreds of deaths each day. No one knowing it and being responsible wants to enter this game.

Sorry for the off-topic rant, but the word "patent" pumps my adrenaline up

Tags
lagoon