Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
Captain, Sailboat Reboot

Home Port: None
Vessel Name: Reboot
Send a message via AIM to svReboot
Thumbs up

For those of you who have responded to my north coast of Gulf vs Bahamas question, thank you. As I sit in the slowly warming Key West I continue to expand my quest for my next destination. With that said I am now focused on the Yucatan Peninsula as a potential next stop.

Some lifestyle comments to help you focus your answers to help me decide:

1) I am a retired (60's) single handed cruiser.

2) I am not particularly attuned to staring at pretty blue water and/or white sand, sitting in bars, dining in local restaurants or visiting T-shirt shops. This may be you which is great for you, it is not me.

3) I love history

4) I have almost no experience with foreign (to me) cultures. In my days of international travel I was an executive that the local office always took care of - hotel, dining, etc. This winter/spring is a shakedown for both Reboot and me. I want to make sure that I understand this lifestyle and that Reboot is sound and reasonably well equipped before I leave the general proximity of the United States and my support networks.

5) I have done enough long distance racing that I am most likely more tolerant of adverse conditions such as long slogs upwind or fighting currents than perhaps others would be.

6) I tentatively plan to head for the Med next summer if I have this all sorted out.

Assuming you would encourage me to go, the obvious next questions are:

Chart books?

Cruising Guides?

Charts?

Land guides?

What would you recommend? What has worked for you?
Web Site: https://www.sailboatreboot.com
Blog:https://blog.sailboatreboot.com
svReboot is offline   Reply With Quote