Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Ensign

I am looking for advice on spending the Meditaranean winter months in the Italian island of Lampedusa off Tunisia. Just thinking this far south the climate could be acceptable, plus I like Italian food . Has anybody on this forum been to Lampedusa and can offer advice / suggestions?

Thanks

Roger

Old 05-02-2008, 11:47 PM   #2
Admiral

Roger,

I haven't heard of any Marinas there (which may mean it will be less expensive than what is being charged elsewhere in the Med.) Here are a couple of Google Earth shots of the 2 main anchorages, seem to be well protected from all winds except strong SSW's., Could be hot and dusty.

There is some sort of piers/pontoons -- green arrow which could be a small marina?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lampedusa_Anchorages.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	438

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lampedusa_Panorama.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	439

Lets see if anyone has visited there recently

Elsewhere, you mention lightweight Cat -- What design? what weight ?? You might need a bigger anchor ??

Cheers

Richard

Old 05-03-2008, 05:55 AM   #3
Admiral

I have never been there but sailed past on several occasions.

Maybe a good winter berth but it certainly can be hot, windy and dusty when a southerly is pumping off the desert.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Ensign

Richard,

Thanks. I also looked at some nice Google pictures and maps, looks quite sheltered to me if you can get into the back harbour area and no marina suits me fine. Still trying to obtain some more info on the harbour and town itself.

I know Lampedusa is a favourite summer spot for Italian tourists who fly in, but it seems to be not too popular with sailors guessing from the responses?! Just hope the infrastructure doesn't shut down complety in winter, need at least one ATM and one pizzeria to survive! Will try the Italian Consulate next.

My new cat is a 34' one-off Oudenziel-built cat, supposedly 4tons with two different kind of anchors already on board, 1 Bruce and 1 Delta which I'm planning to augment with a Fortress.

Stephen,

seeing that you have local sailing knowledge would you know of the typical winter winds in that area?

Regards

Roger
Old 05-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis
Quote:
Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post
I am looking for advice on spending the Meditaranean winter months in the Italian island of Lampedusa off Tunisia. Just thinking this far south the climate could be acceptable, plus I like Italian food . Has anybody on this forum been to Lampedusa and can offer advice / suggestions?

Thanks

Roger
I was in Lampedusa in 2001. For details see my web at http://www.sy-thetis.org/Thetis2001/ToMona...ToMonastir.html. The harbor is full of fishing vessels and has minimum facilities. However, I can see myself spending a quiet winter there.

Fair winds

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Ensign

Good morning. Sorry for my bad English... I'm Italian. I have been in Lampedusa many times. In May and June, when the wheather and the wind direction changes, you should be very careful with the so called "marrobbio", which makes impossible to moor boats because of the violent currents.

You can find information about Lampedusa here http://lampedusainfo.it/129-English_Version.html

I hope it can be useful to you.

Fair winds!
Old 06-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
Ensign

Hello Richard,

I think that Lampedusa is a a beatiful and fantastic island, but unfortunately the marina is not confortable for yacht that want to stay there for a long time. Also Lampedusa is very small island and probably in a couple of weeks you'll know every little hidden corner.

I would advice you to spend all winter months in Marsala o Trapani, there are nice marinas, not expensive in winter season. You could sail in the Egadi Arcipelago. You could visit the fantastic archeologic site near the city. Palermo is quiet close with and Internation Airport.

Ciao

Y/S Y2K

Italy

https://www.maxt.it
spidgrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
Ensign

He Richard,

Lampedusa is a a beatiful and fantastic island, please visit:

http://translate.google.it/translate?prev=...;history_state0=

Ciao, Gino

[/quote]