Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Home Port: Ballard
Vessel Name: VAGABON

I got a couple of questions for you guys.

1. I want to do a bareboat out of St Lucia to Grenada, 10 day duration. Anyone done it?

2. Recommendations as far as charter company?

3. Things not to miss on the way?

4. What air carriers have you used/

DW from Idaho via Alaska

Old 11-11-2010, 02:19 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hi, Duckwheat,

Good to see you back on the forum.

That's an interesting one. Hopefully JeanneP will come along and give some insights about it since she likely knows how doable this is! Why this particular 1-way trip rather than round trip out of somewhere?

Fairwinds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Admiral

Hi! You've got an easy 10 days, though the big risk is leaving your trip to Grenada to the last minute and having nasty winds to thwart such plans.

I reviewed my logs, and I didn't write as much about these islands as I thought.

I'm assuming you get the boat in Rodney Bay. My suggestion is that you head right for the Pitons. This is a dead volcanic caldera, I think. Super deep, boats put out a stern anchor very close to shore to keep them from drifting into the beach and tie their bow to a tree on land. And this will be the place with the greatest changes since we've been there, so you should ask around before heading there. There is a big resort there, now, and I can't say how friendly they will be to yachts, but it's really lovely. Super clear water, great wall diving, and probably very civilized with restaurant nowadays.

If it were me, I'd skip anchoring in St. Vincent (between the island and Young Island)and instead head directly to the Grenadines. You can check in at Bequia, check out at Union Island. Each of the Grenadines has its own special atmosphere. Mustique is the playground of the super wealthy, Princess Margaret used to go there regularly. Union Island isn't particularly attractive, but you can shop for basic provisions there (maybe more - things change). You can easily spend your entire 10 days in the Grenadines. You might find the locals coming out to sell you crayfish/lobster. They'll ask a lot of money for them, but I think they're wonderful.

Check into St. Lucia at Carriacou and enjoy a calm quiet anchorage. In one of ours stays in Carriacou we watched three bare-boat charter boats come into the anchorage one after the other, motor right onto the reef on the starboard side one after another, back off, reorient themselves, and continue on into the bay. The instructions for entering the anchorage warned skippers of the reef in the middle of the entry to the bay, and these boats made the mistake of giving it too wide a berth and hitting the reef on the edge instead. The mid-bay reef was much easier to see, and they should have stayed closer to it while keeping an eye on it. Then they would have avoided the more difficult to see reef on their starboard side. Since it's been so long since we've been here, the reef features have probably changed, but I think it still warrants a heads up. Also, since it's been so long, I assume Carriacou is much more developed than it used to be. The charter company will have good up to date information.

Below are the only logs of Watermelon's trips through the area - sorry, lots of the early stuff didn't get saved very well.

St. Vincent

Grenada

Grenada is a beautiful island, and though I think that the locals who interact with the yachties are opportunists and greedy - too many stories about that - if you can find a way to get a tour of the island you will be rewarded. Most boats go to Prickly Pear Cay/Prickly Bay (oh, my age is showing here) where all the yachties hang out. It's a nice bay, you have to go in pretty far to avoid the swell.

One serious warning. Please don't eat barracuda. Ciguatera is a big problem in the leeward islands, wasn't so serious in the windwards, but ciguatera can really, really ruin your day. As tasty as the fish might be, forego it.

You will get good information from the charter company, so enjoy yourself. And then, we'd appreciate it if you would come back and give us an update on how the charter went.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Ensign

Moorings is the only company that has a charter base in both St. Lucia and Grenada, so that does appear to be an obvious choice. Like any company, they charge a One Way Drop off, but they also still maintain a base in Canouan which will be quite helpful should you run into any "issues" during your passage. Moorings typically recommends 10 days for that trip, since it is over 120 nm as the bird flies......and the passages between the islands can be a LOT longer than you may have planned on. remember, the wind direction can vary from winter to sommer, as much as 30 degrees, which can be a big factor on WHICH DIRECTION (south to north or north to south) will work in your favor.

There are at least a dozen other bareboat operators in Martinique, St. Vincent, Union, and Grenada to consider as well. Your best bet is to determine when you want to go, and who would have the best boat for your needs during that time frame.

Air to St. Lucia is very simple.......you connect via San Juan on American, LIAT, or Carribean Star. Grenada has direct flights to Miami on American.

Currently, Soufrier town (where the Piton's are located) is still suffering from lack of water due to extensive damage in the last hurricane over a month ago. Roads were totally washed away, many people killed, landslides, very cataclysmic. The North side of the island still suffers from lack of fresh water - the waterpipe system has been severely damaged, and the island is rationing water to the locals. Many hotels in the south are still closed.....it is still in such bad condition. I would not suggest flying into Hwanorra Airport - fly only to Castries/

In Grenada, there is a NEW marina right in St. Georges harbor that is far better than trying to anchor in Prickly Bay.

If you would like details on bareboat chartering, let me know.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Admiral

Thanks, Sailorgal, for the updated info. So the old marina in St. George has finally been upgraded? I love that town, it's so old British colonial.

And sorry to hear about Soufriere's problems - again. The town has always been the poor relative to the northern part of the island. You think it would be uncomfortable for a yacht to anchor there for a day or so?

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:23 AM   #6
Ensign

I was in St Lucia at the Pitons twice in the last few years and didn't see any boats anchored with a line to shore. In fact, Don Street wrote about that anchoring technique at the Pitons and we know that was a long, long time ago! It looks to be moorings only, there seems to be a sufficient available from there and northward towards Soufriere. Yes, the Piton area has built up...there is even a chopper pad on the beach to fly in the rich folks.

Ronbo

Old 03-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Regarding Grenada, yes there is a new and very smart marina on the south side of St Georges, called Port Louis Marina. Personally, I prefer to anchor and you can do this immediately south of St Georges or in any of several bays on the south coast. Prickly Bay is handy as it has customs and immigration there, but it is less rolly and more pretty in Clarkes Court Bay where there are also two marinas, Clarkes Court and Whisper Cove if you are a marina person. Enter Clarkes Court Bay in daylight when it is easy if you follow the buoys, do not try it at night

steelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Ensign

Hi duckwheat,

We did St Martin - Trinidad in the same amount of time so you'll have plenty to of time to discover. Watch out and put a defense or two for the locals coming to sell pineapples, coco nuts, fishes etc... because they hit the hull pretty hard and you might loose your deposit!

Keep in mind, if you cruise on a sailboat you'll be seen as a very rich and fortunate guy from the inhabitants, most of them earn less than $100/month/family, so don't expect friendship, there will be a natural barrier and it's normal.

1. yes, a few times. Going west side of the islands to go fast, east side to anchor and visit.

2. try to rent from a private owner in Martinique (Le Marin), cheaper, better equipment, well designed boats: it's ok not to return the boat in its departure point. Catamaran is a good choice because of wind force and direction but most of them don't have dragger boards so forget about up-wind sailing.

3. I'd recommend to spend as much time as possible in the Grenadines islands, hence the catamaran to access remote spots with very low draft.

4. Try travelocity, get the cheapest deal, then go to the carrier web site to actually book the flight ticket, it will be even cheaper
Old 06-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: London
Default St Lucia to Grenadines - how was it? Tips?

Hi - we are doing this trip towards the end of December and I am very keen to get any advice. We have hired a sailing boat from Moorings in Marigot Bay and have 2 weeks, leaving it in Grenada to fly home from there. 4 adults, 2 children (ages 8 and 6) Will did a similar holiday in BVI 2 years ago and it was fabulous!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
Lieutenant

I have done a sailing holiday or two through this area every winter for the last four years, and will be doing another two week trip starting in Rodney Bay this December 18th. I would recommend stopping in St. Vincent, Cumberland Bay is our favorite anchorage, and seeing some of the fantastic nature sites on the island. If you are relatively fit a climb up the La Soufriere volcano is not to be missed.
I would like to attach a shortcut to some trip reports I did last winter, but can't figure out how. If anyone can give some guidance it would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Default Links to photos and video

http://s894.photobucket.com/user/sun...012%20-%202013

http://s894.photobucket.com/user/sun...iling%20videos

Here are links to some videos of sailing in 30+ knots of wind and approaching the Tobago Cays and also photos from last year, these will include the Atlantic crossing I did with soem friends on a Trintella 49, sailing holidays on Skyelark of London in the Grenadines and also some land based portions of my vacation
Old 08-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
Lieutenant

These are from the two sailing holidays I did last year with photos imbedded. I'll be posting my copies of my reports from this winters trips on this forum (cruiserlog) beginning next December if people enjoy reading thm

Traveltalkonline: Day 26 Off to Marigot Bay, St. Lucia

Traveltalkonline: Day 2: Off Again

after reading go to the top of the page and hit next as they are posted in reverse order, there may be some from other travelers just bypass them.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #13
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Sammy, Thanks for the links and photos. There would not be a sailor out there who doesn't enjoy reading trip reports with loads of photos.
Keep 'em coming!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote