Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #21
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Hi, Nightcap,

Reading your post about your work, I had an "ah-ha!" moment. Reading your profile gave me another "ah-ha!" to go along with it.

You're like the SeaTow drivers we have here in San Diego who sit by the jetty and wait for folks to ground--as they will. You know its going to happen, given enough boaters, and you make your money on your customers' error or misfortune and then go to the bars with your buddies to joke about how foolish boaters all are... Well, 25 years of THAT is enough to skew anyone's view of the world! Yep, me thinks it's time for you to move on to some other, less soul-depleting, line of work--or perhaps just skip the sauce in the evenings with other cynics in the maritime industry.

Yes, I think I can safely say that, sadly, you're jaded by your work. I suggest that you take a break, maybe go cruising, restore your faith in your fellow boater . Or, if you must continue to work and can't really take some time off right now, why not get into a different line of work where you won't be confronted with such bad karma day-in and day-out? I couldn't imagine working to rescue, save, and salvage...all the time thinking about how foolish, inexperienced, stupid, etc, these boater folks are. I'd rather be thinking about how good it is that I have the opportunity to make a positive difference in someone's life--fixing something, saving a boat, providing assistance in some positive way.

Fair winds and best of luck in a change of career away from the dead-zone you seem to have been sucked into.
I find this post offensive, especially when it comes from a moderator. I do not and have never worked in the towing or salvage industry. I have not and will never charge for any assistance rendered in an emergency. A quick google of "yacht help+fiji" would have been advisable before you posted.

I try to cruise at least 6 months of the year and work the remainder, sometimes sailing locally, sometimes bluewater, always with a smile on my face.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #22

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcap View Post
I find this post offensive, especially when it comes from a moderator. I do not and have never worked in the towing or salvage industry. I have not and will never charge for any assistance rendered in an emergency. A quick google of "yacht help+fiji" would have been advisable before you posted.

I try to cruise at least 6 months of the year and work the remainder, sometimes sailing locally, sometimes bluewater, always with a smile on my face.
I apologize for labeling you as a jaded worker of a job that you've never done...After google, I see the company you post does "shore-side services" for super yachts. A far cry from a company specializing in helping small boats/cruising yachts at sea--which is the impression that I got from your post referencing the company and then the list of service you'd provided to small boats over 25 years and within the context of that post. Why bother stating who you work for if it had nothing to do with emergency assistance to cruising yachts such as you later give a list of? Sorry, completely misunderstood your point there.

There's nothing wrong with the towing and salvage industry--its just hardens people--I've a couple friends who did it for awhile.

Well, I dunno why you seem a bit jaded about the matter of cruisers, then. I hope you get past it.

Good luck in your endeavors.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote