Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #21
Lieutenant

Gashmore's link was broken. Here it is:

Bahamian Law-Right of Innocent Passage

5. (1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3) and section 13 and without prejudice to sections 7 or 11, a foreign ship shall be entitled to enjoy the right of innocent passage through the archipelagic waters and territorial sea of The Bahamas.

Right of innocent passage.

(2) The passage of a foreign ship shall be deemed to be prejudicial to the peace, good order or security of The Bahamas if, the ship while in the archipelagic waters or territorial sea of The Bahamas, engages in any of the following activities-

(a)any threat or use of force against the sovereignty, territorial integrity or political independence of The Bahamas, or in any other manner in violation of the principles of international law; (b)any exercise or practice with weapons of any kind; Šany act aimed at collecting information relating to the defence or security of The Bahamas; (d)any act of propaganda aimed at affecting the defence or security of The Bahamas; (e)the conveyance, taking on board or off loading of any person, commodity or currency in breach of any law relating to exchange control, customs, immigration, health or drugs; (f)any act of pollution calculated or likely to cause damage or harm to The Bahamas, its resources or its marine environment; (g)any fishing activities other than in accordance with the Fisheries Resources (Jurisdiction and Conservation) Act; (h)any act aimed at the interfering with systems of communication or telecommunication of The Bahamas; (i)such other activity as the Governor-General may by Order prescribe. (3) Without prejudice to subsection (2) the passage of a foreign ship shall also be deemed to be prejudicial to the peace, good order or security of The Bahamas if without the prior permission of the Minister obtained by the captain or person in charge of the ship, the ship while in the archipelagic waters or territorial sea of The Bahamas, engages in any of the following activities-

(a)the launching, landing or taking on board of any aircraft; (b)the launching, landing or taking on board of any military device; Šthe carrying out of research or survey activities; (d)being a submarine or other underwater ship, underwater navigation

Old 07-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #22
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonlarry View Post
While $300 may seem a not unreasonable fee for someone who plans to spend a long time cruising the Bahamas, For someone simply transiting thru from the Eastern Carib to the Atlantic US, it is outrageous. I simply did not clear in, was prepared to say that I was just waiting for weather (though I did go ashore in Little Harbor in the Berries) and felt a bit like a skulking criminal....I suppose if everything went very badly in an encounter with officials I could have had the boat impounded.

Not a great situation to have fees that make some people outlaws!
Not a great situation for outlaws to complain about another country's laws and regulations, specially since it is so easy to avoid flaunting their laws.

you went ashore in the Berrys, right? why? you were one or two days from the US, so there was no need to stop and go ashore. If you don't want to pay the fees, don't go there.

sheesh!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #23
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gashmore View Post
No sweat. Bahamian Law Chapter 282 - ARCHIPELAGIC WATERS AND MARITIME JURISDICTION - Section 3 allows the innocent passage. As long as you don't stop, don't take on or discharge passengers , crew or cargo, fish, spy, preach, fire weaopns or launch aircraft you are clean. Oh yes, and you must remain on the surface :-)
This is goin' to make pyratin' difficult mates. They're goin' to get their money even if they sink ye...

Edit: Actually the Bahamas seems quite reasonable...

http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas/about/gener...171&level=2
Old 07-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #24
Rear Admiral

I would think it only proper to rspect the laws of a country we visit. Surely we here expect visitors to respect ours. It doesn't happen, but it sure would be great if they did!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:21 PM   #25
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I would think it only proper to rspect the laws of a country we visit. Surely we here expect visitors to respect ours. It doesn't happen, but it sure would be great if they did!!!!!!!!!
It would seem a reasonable thing! I kinda look at it like "You don't take a cr-p at a home your visting for the night as a guest. If ya gotta take a cr-p, wait until you get back home - but definitely don't go mucking up anothers otherwise happy enjoyment of his environment. Just basic respect, imo, to obey their laws when YOU are a guest....
Old 07-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #26
Lieutenant

I admit it was ill advised to go ashore without clearing in. The reason to stop was to wait out a strong front to cross the Gulf Stream. If I had not gone ashore, I believe I would have been in accordance with the regs.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #27
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='babylonlarry' post='23611'
If I had not gone ashore, I believe I would have been in accordance with the regs.
I'm sure that's true. Twice SV Watermelon had to wait out weather before entering the pass to check in at Noumea, New Caledonia. The first time only for a night, the second time for a week. Both times we hoisted our "Q" flag and stayed on board. French countries can be very picky about following procedures, particularly New Caledonia, it seems. Another boat that did choose to go ashore in New Caledonia the night before they arrived in Noumea to check in was fined some hefty fee, perhaps $600. (it could have been $6,000, but please don't hold me to either figure) The gendarme on the island we anchored off waved to us every morning as he came to work, so they knew we were there. We've heard of other places where the local chief notified officials on a different island of any yacht arriving in their bay. Those that didn't check in got a surprise fine when they finally got around to checking into the country.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #28
Ensign

Over the years I have found that BVI wouldn't need to raise fees to keep cruisers out. Very few Bays are left that one can anchor in, the mooring balls are in all of the shallow water, leaving 70 foot depths for cruisers. I find the Road Town to be totally unfriendly towards transient yachts. No place to anchor, few slips elsewhere. The prices for provisioning match the Bahamas. It's never fun for us. We sail in, pick up guests and get out.

The Spanish Virgins are a good alternative and only a days sail away. Whether the fees go into effect or not is not important. BVI has made a conscientious effort to give cruisers a cold shoulder for over a decade. There are far better places at far better prices.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:55 AM   #29
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamar View Post
Over the years I have found that BVI wouldn't need to raise fees to keep cruisers out. Very few Bays are left that one can anchor in, the mooring balls are in all of the shallow water, leaving 70 foot depths for cruisers.
Not true. You can anchor in RT just south of the ferry dock. Lots of room in Brandwine Bay, some at Marina Cay, lots in North Sound, plenty in Anegada, several nooks and crannies around VG and the small islands North of Marina Cay. CGB still has room, as do all three bays on JVD. More anchorages are on the South side of Peter and the North side of Norman.

Prices are indeed similar to the Bahamas although some services are actually better for the same price.

All that said, I prefer the Bahamas - too many charterers and (worse) cruise ship sheeple in the BVI.

I haven't been to the SVI yet, I'm looking forward to it.

S/V Auspicious
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:38 AM   #30
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Not true. You can anchor in RT just south of the ferry dock. Lots of room in Brandwine Bay, some at Marina Cay, lots in North Sound, plenty in Anegada, several nooks and crannies around VG and the small islands North of Marina Cay. CGB still has room, as do all three bays on JVD. More anchorages are on the South side of Peter and the North side of Norman.
Marina Cay is like a drive-in movie on Friday night and so is Trellis Bay. Yes there are a few places left, Anegada is gorgeous, unless you have a pile of wind, which is always. My point was that all around, i have always felt that there were more accessible and cruiser friendly places elsewhere. A quick overnighter and you have SXM and the beauty of Orient. LOL.

Tags
island, virgin islands