Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > Overdue & Distress Reports
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusailor' date='12 June 2010 - 01:03 PM View Post

Jeanne, when I saw the story, I thought about you. You didn't let me down. I DO AGREE, I have two daughters and at 16 a record would not be that important. LIFE IS A WHOLE LOT MORE VALUABLE.
Yup, I just can't resist, can I?

Frank, did you notice I CAREFULLY avoided mentioning Southern Ocean? Takes a great deal of restraint for me not to lump all that scary seas and weather into one phrase, SOUTHERN OCEAN, no matter where it might be.

I am so sorry to hear that Gerry Clark was lost. We were still out that way when I heard that he was going out again, and I didn't have a good feeling about it, but thought he'd make it back again. Darn!

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #16
Commander

Home Port: Puerto Montt
Vessel Name: Westerly Serenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP' date='12 June 2010 - 09:17 PM View Post

Yup, I just can't resist, can I?

Frank, did you notice I CAREFULLY avoided mentioning Southern Ocean? Takes a great deal of restraint for me not to lump all that scary seas and weather into one phrase, SOUTHERN OCEAN, no matter where it might be.

I am so sorry to hear that Gerry Clark was lost. We were still out that way when I heard that he was going out again, and I didn't have a good feeling about it, but thought he'd make it back again. Darn!
Sorry Jeanne, not directed at you..... the southern ocean thing is just one of my little issues....

Cheers

Frank

Old 06-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #17

I know, Frank, no offense taken. I needed an excuse to blather a bit, though, after my earlier rants.

SY WATERMELON |

Old 06-13-2010, 12:38 AM   #18
Commander

Anybody seen this yet..? http://www.savewildeyes.com/

That is either a blatent scam or her parents have absolutely no idea what they are suggesting... OK who gave the 11c?
Old 06-13-2010, 01:54 AM   #19
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank' date='13 June 2010 - 12:59 AM View Post

Point of order for starters.... she wasn't in the Southern Ocean... that starts at either the Antarctic Convergence or 60*S... take your pick.... she was in the Indian Ocean... said by Vito Dumas to be worse than either the Pacific or Atlantic in those latitudes..

She was south of 40S and south of Amsterdam and St Paul Islands having left Cape Town on May 21st.... winter.
Frank, point taken, The reason for calling it the Southern Ocean relates to the AMSA reports of where the sailboat was found - The Australian's have the Southern Ocean in their part of the world as being that south of 40 degrees latitude.

I still ask the question "when in April the pursuit of a record was dropped, who in May decided the route of the new passage from From Capetown to Australia?"
Old 06-13-2010, 02:53 AM   #20

Beggars! $2,460.11 given by 73 people. That's an average gift of $33.70. Abby Sunderland has not provided $33.70 worth of entertainment. Whoever said it, it seems to be true that there's a sucker born every minute.

They are all clueless. Those poor gullible, generous people haven't a clue that there is no possibility that they can get enough money to tow that boat anywhere. I am offended that they would have the nerve to beg that way. (I rather think that I do righteous indignation rather well)

Consequences. Consequences. How has any of these exercise taught Abby that very important lesson, that there are consequences to our actions.

I'm going to bed before I dig a deeper hole for myself.

Don't fall for it everybody. She and her family are not worth it!

Fair winds,

j

SY WATERMELON |

Old 06-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #21
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank' date='13 June 2010 - 02:38 AM View Post

Anybody seen this yet..? http://www.savewildeyes.com/
This is all very suspect.

Whilst I am extremely critical of Abby's parents for their foolishness in sending their little girl to what could have been her death given that the extreme conditions of winter on the Cape to Australia route are well known, I do not think they are respopnsible for the SAVEWILDEYES site.

Until someone proves me wrong, I am convinced that SAVEWILDEYES.COM is a complete and utter SCAM!

The savewildeyes.com domain is registered through DOMAINS BY PROXY INC. Now why would any genuine, charitable person wish to register a domain by proxy? Consider this, abbysunderland.com is registered in California by one Nordy Ying with both a physical and email address whereas Domains by Proxy Inc register "your" domain in their name, making identification of the real domain owner impossible, although they do state that they are,

"committed to working with law enforcement to make the Internet a better place. We assist with formal and informal investigations whenever possible".

Note the "whenever". What does that mean?

DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY! THIS HAS A BAD SMELL ABOUT IT.

For my final rant, make the parents foot the bill for Abby's rescue and for any salvage. A teenager from Halifax, Mass. was ordered to pay the cost of his rescue (link here) so why should the Sunderlands be any different.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #22
Commander

Oh its a scam alright... but an official Sunderland scam... http://soloround.blogspot.com/

So what happens to the money when they realise the $3000 or $30,000 wont get a search plane off the runway or a tug out of harbour?

How long before those EPIRB batteries go flat..?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #23
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank' date='13 June 2010 - 10:18 AM View Post

Oh its a scam alright... but an official Sunderland scam...
I am stunned. When you already have a website, why go to the bother and expense of registering and creating a new site and the even greater expense of hiding the ownership by using a proxy?

If they were serious then they would not use the money for that, no matter how little it costs.

Good questions posed by Frank. What will the money go to in the end?

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 06-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #24
Commander

The Australians reckoned that the Southern Ocean lies directly south of Australia and the Argentinians still reckon it doesn't exist.... they say that south of South America is the Argentinian Sea. Unfortunately for them the IHO http://geography.about.com/od/learna...fifthocean.htm reckon its limit is 60*S although if you go down the purist road and use the convergence as the boundary it includes South Georgia.

Unfortunately in the yachting press 'Southern Ocean' sounds much more macho....

Frank,

Pedant at Large..
Old 06-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #25

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I'm sorry to learn that the family actually would consider (and solicit) taking money from others to save Abby's abandoned boat or to do anything else for that matter. This is a personal venture for the egos of the people in one family--not a matter of public consequence. I have mixed feelings about recovery of the cost of rescue in this and other rescues of solo sailors.

I am happy that Abby is safe and on her way home and hope that she will continue to enjoy sailing in the future.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #26

I love California's Sailing Rag, Latitude 38. Here are their comments on Abby's attempt, and her parents: 'Lectronic Latitude June 11 2010

Here's an excerpt: "What many sailors don't even seem to realize is the amount of risk that Sunderland's parents were willing to expose their daughter to. ...In order to get into the non-existent record book — World Speed Sailing Association as well as Guiness and many others won't accept age-based records because of the risks — Abby had to start her circumnavigation at the wrong time or she would be too old. When you sail around the world, even the easy way, you do it by the seasons. That's even more important when going around the hard way. When the great maxi French mulithulls attempt around the world records, their window is always November to about March. Why? Because as Adrienne Cahalan, navigator on Playstation's record circumnavigation said, "You don't sail in the Southern Ocean in the winter." You just don't do it. Not the Volvo, not the Vendée, not The Race, not nobody. If the world's greatest sailors will wait a full year just to stay out of the Southern Ocean in winter — when there are gales 30% of the time as opposed to 5% of the time in summer — you'd think the parents of a 16-year-old minor would make their daughter do the same. But then more than a few parents have been blinded by the lure of the possibility of their child becoming famous."

(emphasis mine)

Now I'm waiting to hear what they'll say about the begging for money to bring back Wild Eyes.

SY WATERMELON |

Old 06-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #27
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep' date='13 June 2010 - 05:21 PM View Post

This is a personal venture for the egos of the people in one family--not a matter of public consequence. I have mixed feelings about recovery of the cost of rescue in this and other rescues of solo sailors.

I am happy that Abby is safe and on her way home and hope that she will continue to enjoy sailing in the future.
I too am much pleased that young Abby is safe and on her way home. I am sure that there is no dissention in the CL camp regarding that issue. I am also sure that we all wish her many years of happy and safe sailing. I have no argument with the young lady.

My augment is with her parents who, for a couple of years yet, are legally responsible for her. I disagree with Redbopeep when she claims that this is not a matter of public consequence. As they are begging a global public for contributions to save the yacht, and this is in the public domain, then this becomes a an issue of public consequence. Once in the public domain then it has to pass public scrutiny. In this case, I suggest, that it fails abominally.

Let me reiterate what I said earlier, “ DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY! THIS HAS A BAD SMELL ABOUT IT.”

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 06-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #28

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I think I was not clear in my statement--what I meant was that this venture is personal. The venture itself is not important to Abby's home country, state, school (e.g. she's not representing a national sailing team, a particular yacht club or any such thing) so only Abby's family is involved in terms whatever failure or glory comes of Abby's sailing venture. Therefore, Abby's success or failure is not a matter of public consequence but rather a matter of personal importance.

If it were of public consequence, (which it is not) then the pertinent "public" (e.g. yacht club, school, nation) would be in the decision making process (like--hummm does a particular yacht club want a 16 year old solo sailor representing them??? and which path would she be taking if anyone beyond her family had any say in the venture at the outset?) and such an entity would be likely on the hook for the cost of Abby's venture including cost of recovery of her vessel if appropriate.

However, it seems this is a private venture.

Of course, no one lives in isolation--no one lives in a bubble. When Abby's family starts begging the world for money to help fund their little venture, it becomes "public" in terms of being in the public eye but that doesn't mean that it is "important" or of "public consequence" but rather that the family is using the media publicity to mitigate their personal investment in this venture--and potentially to make money from the venture. I agree 100% that no one should be funding this venture except Abby's family, friends, and any one else stupid enough to throw away their money on something like this.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote