Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > Overdue & Distress Reports
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #21
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

The simple answer ... Guerrilla Warfare ... The coalition forces do nothing once a vessel has been taken for fear of injuring or killing hostages. Dont allow for it to go that far. Put heavily armed units onto innocent looking boats including yachts, small coastal traders etc and patrol the areas in those .. when attacked by pirates, wipe them out. Wont take long for the message to get across that its not profitable to continue being pirates. The pirates wont know which boats are easy targets and which arnt and piracy there will end. A lot cheaper and more efficient than the useless presence thats there now from the protection forced...

I mean automatic weapons, light machine guns, grenades, flame throwers, things like LAWS rockets, portable devastating fire power. Small trained units hitting back once attacked would soon break the pirates stranglehold of those waters.

Just my opinion ... I believe that pirates should receive no quarter.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #22
Ensign

Q ships, every ship that is big enough to have space to ship men, to have a marine or SBS or other naval weapons squad onboard with heavy weapons, .50 and 40mm belt fed weapons and planty of GPMGs. Sufficient men on watch to deal with the detected pirates without waking the off watch guys, as it's only around 7 min from horizon to beside the boat with a speedboat like the pirates use.

Any boat approaching with a weapon visible onboard to be sunk immediately, no ifs, no buts, any weapon = sunk.

Once they are cloase enough to be within weapons range but no weapons are seen onboard, hail it and order it to stand to to be boarded, wake up the off watch guys and send them over while the on watch ones keep the boat covered, any attempt to run away = sunk. If the boarding party finds weapons hidden, throw them overboard, sink the boat and let them swim back to shore, if they can.

Meanwhile regular sweeps by armed helicopter gunships, again if any weapons are spotted, the boat is sunk immediately. If no weapons spotted, the gunship keeps it covered and a troop helo is called to lower troops on board, if any hidden weapons are found, sink it.

Pirates deserve no mercy.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #23
Lieutenant

Agreed. When I first got out of the Army and wondering what I was going to do with myself, I seriously considered getting some of my lads from the regiment to come along and hire ourselves out as a marine contingent. The only real problem would have been getting and transporting enough hardware to repell boarders. Fabrique National probably doesn't deliver, I should think. My plan was to design a very recognisable ensign and fly it while we operate. Maybe distribute some fliers describing that it means an armed contingent. Pirates are basically pretty cowardly - they are not looking for a fight. Offer them one and they will go looking for easier prey (ie. not my client). I still think it would be a good idea if I could work out the hardware issues...

Ottawa, Canada
KevinBarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #24
Ensign

Hi folks

As an English newbie, I am probably very naive. So much for Somalia - everything from 'We should not be there' to 'blow them out of the water. Surely the only answer is to deprive pirates of their targets. The damage to national economies and huge companies would be such that action would have to be taken.

Next question - if we do all go round Africa, how far do we stand off the coasts of West Africa. Have you read the reports of piracy in the gulf of Guinea. Where on earth can we go?
Old 10-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #25
Ensign

I like the blocade idea. If we are going to patrol these waters and spend 4,000,000 Euro per yr per frigate we might as well solve this problem once and for all. Don't tell me it can't be done. The North blocaded the entire Southern coast during the American civil war. It can be done. We need to channel any legitimate fishermen through choke points to inspect their vessels to prove their legitimacy. We should make a deal with the holders of all current hostages. Once westerners are out and ransom is paid let the bombing begin. Drone attacks on a few of the kingpins houses will help to return the ransom. If not cordon off the Pirate strongholds and destroy every building bigger than an outhouse. We need an act of war on these slimy murderous bastards. Place all enemy combatants in p.o.w. camps and hold them till all piracy has ceased. When it is all over confiscate all plunder and sell property to defray costs of operation
Old 10-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #26
Lieutenant

Home Port: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sooke
Send a message via MSN to BJSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post

Thank you JeanneP for pointing out what has seemed pretty obvious to me: If a yacht has made it as far as the middle of the IO, it should be sufficiently well-found a vessel to go via the Cape of Good Hope. A cruiser with the goal of circumnavigation should have boat and crew up to the task of sailing involved.

If one doesn't wish to get into those waters of the Cape and S.A., there are still many, many years and many, many miles of sailing that can be had worldwide without ever dealing with getting past Africa

Fair winds,
I can't seem to sail out of Micronesia. Still so much to see and the diving is excellent. I'm starting to head back east for another circuit. Dealing with pirates can wait. That's my solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Palau 4, 25 ,2010 029.jpg  
Old 10-02-2011, 02:47 AM   #27

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJSmith View Post

I can't seem to sail out of Micronesia. Still so much to see and the diving is excellent. I'm starting to head back east for another circuit. Dealing with pirates can wait. That's my solution.
Good for you

How long have you been sailing Micronesia now? What constitutes the "circuit"? Perhaps that is obvious to others, but not to me. Thanks!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #28
Lieutenant

Home Port: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sooke
Send a message via MSN to BJSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post

Good for you

How long have you been sailing Micronesia now? What constitutes the "circuit"? Perhaps that is obvious to others, but not to me. Thanks!
Sailing and wandering Micronesia for 15 years. Will be heading east from Palau staying near the equator then to the Marshals, Guam, Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands as far north as Maug and then backdown to Yap and Palau. Have no idea how long this will take.
Attached Thumbnails
Yap Caverns, Cabbage Patch Yap 03, 08,2010 019.jpg  
Old 10-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #29

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I was just researching the Marshal Islands--how many times have you been there before? What's it like?

Thanks!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pirates