Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > Overdue & Distress Reports
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Rear Admiral

Sad to report that a young couple who stopped over for the night, anchored off Chateaubeliar on St Vincent west coast, were boarded, attacked and robbed in the early hours of 23rd December.

The husband Steve suffered machete wounds to his upper body and scalp. We were lucky enough to be close by that night, and Katherine motored the yacht to link up and spend the night alongside us in Wallilabou Bay.

More info on our blog site at www.yotblog.com/swagman.

JOHN

Old 12-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Admiral

Damn! St. Vincent and this bay have been notorious for the bad guys for more than 20 years! Most yachts boycotted Dominica for years because of the aggressive boat boys, and most of the St. Vincent bays outside the Grenadines were also avoided due to problems and theft. Looks as if St. Vincent hasn't rid itself of its bad guys. Maybe yachts should resume its boycott of St. Vincent, though I don't expect that the police would be any better than presently.

I really hate to paint all the St. Vincentians with such a broad brush, because most of them are very nice. As I often say, it only takes one thief to make a crime wave, but this was a bad one.

Years ago a book was being passed among the Caribbean cruising boats relating the horrible experiences of a cruising couple in St. Vincent and running onto a reef in Las Aves islands. I thought it was called "Sitting Ducks" but can't find any reference to it in an internet search, so I might have remembered the title incorrectly.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Have a look at the reports under "SVG".

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

Quick update as I've heard from Kath and Steve,

Seems they got royalty treatment once on land. All sorted in hospital, then a meeting with St Vincent Prime Minister plus Minister of Toursim, then special meeting with Chief of Police. All promised no stone would be left unturned to find the attackers. Seems they were relatively 'lucky' as last year another cruiser nearly lost and arm, and another a hand, in similar machete boarding attacks.

The local politicans know the cost of these attacks on their tourism trade and whilst not right yet - they all say the situation has begun to improve and more and more locals understand the ramifications of harbouring the bad guys. They are hopeful they'll catch these.

Kath and Steve went on th St Lucia and when their story unfolded they were offered a suit in a hillside luxy hotel at special rates - and were more than well looked after.

Kath says the experience has not put them off their own plans to buy a boat one day and cruise - but it has taught them to lock up well at night and not stop at dodgy anchorages.........

JOHN
Old 01-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Thanks for the update John.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Ensign

hi,

I am researching a story. Does anyone know of the yacht "Sitting Ducks"? I heard the husband and wife owners were victims of a violent robbery. I heard they wrote a book about it but cannot find any mention of them except in Chris Doyle's article in 2006 where he wrote "Anyone remember Sitting Ducks and the furore it arose?"

Any help appreciated.

KN
Old 10-30-2008, 01:31 AM   #7
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to linnetwoods

This is probably stupid of me but is there any possibility the boat name you are trying to remember is 'Innocent Bystander'?

Linnet Woods
linnetwoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter