Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > Overdue & Distress Reports
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Admiral

Default Overdue yacht, Cape Verde Islands

MaSa, a new member of CL, has asked for cruisers to be on the lookout for his son since he has not heard from him since 24th of April. Here is a copy of his message to me:

"please place this sos-call
I need to contact people sailing around the Cabo Verde and hope for an answer concerning the MORGENLAND of Jersey, Burkhard (BO) Sander - has anyone seen her and him??

We, the family in Germany , last heard from him 24.4. and he then warned that he would be out of contact for a while. The while is getting too long, not Coast Guard stuff, but if anybady knows them, please contact me!!!
we are pretty sure he didn't mean to cross the Atlantic this time, and he loves Cabo Verde.
Tell him to call Dad.
regards, masa"

If anyone has seen this boat, please post the information here.

Many thanks.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: Conwy

I am sorry to say I received the following email from a friend this morning, it doesn't seem good news -

Spotted the above named yacht registered in Jersey drifting unmanned out to sea in Guadiana entrance a couple of weeks ago so called Ayamonte up to arrange a rescue however I notice that they have brought it to Mazagon so it may be worth mentioning it on the YBW forum as the owner may still be unaware that it broke free from anchor. Its green and white with canoe stern about 38'
Nigel

Old 08-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Thanks, Graham, for the information. Please let us know if you hear anything further of owner/crew as well.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: Köln

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamM376 View Post
I am sorry to say I received the following email from a friend this morning, it doesn't seem good news -

Spotted the above named yacht registered in Jersey drifting unmanned out to sea in Guadiana entrance a couple of weeks ago so called Ayamonte up to arrange a rescue however I notice that they have brought it to Mazagon so it may be worth mentioning it on the YBW forum as the owner may still be unaware that it broke free from anchor. Its green and white with canoe stern about 38'
Nigel

you scare me stiff. how do I proceed, whom to contact from inland Germany??
Old 08-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Ensign

this must have been it.

are there any other news concerning the MORGENLAND of Jersey, and or Burkhard Bo Sander, the owner?
Who could I contact at Ayamote or Mazagon?
Coast Guard?
deeply worried landlubber sister inland Germany.
thanks, anyway
Old 08-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
Ensign

sorry, but now I found that Ayamonte region is where he has spent other winters before, and it's back in Europe. the two weeks are worrying, but we may contact the police there.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSa View Post
you scare me stiff. how do I proceed, whom to contact from inland Germany??
Hi,

I don't know how your government systems work but, I would make either make contact with the German Consulate or Embassy nearest to Mazagon or, via your Foreign Office. They will have the necessary Spanish speakers to make enquiries for you.

Lets hope it all turns out well.

Kind Regards,

Graham.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
Ensign

MaSa,

I have more information this morning and it appears the situation is less worrying than first report suggested.

Morgenland had been left on anchor for some time in the Guadiana river, off Alcoutim. It was closed up with a dinghy on the stern. It was later seen drifting out to sea with failed anchor chain but the water was too low for a nearby boat to go after it so, the coastguard recovered it.

It is not uncommon for people to leave boats on anchor in the river for quite long periods. I hope this information helps, he may have gone off sailing with someone else or touring inland?

Graham.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: Citrus Heights

So, have you found your brother MaSa ? I've been hoping to read some good news here.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Ensign

Default morgenland - no real news

the boat is at Mazugon and being dealt with nby the authorities.
No news yet about or from Burkhard, we have him reported missing and I am hoping for a message from people who may have met him inbetween January and August (now), somewhere from the Cap Verdes to Guadiana entrance and could tell us about his mood, his plans anything.
really worried,
marianne
Old 09-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #11
Ensign

Default News on Burkhard, Morgenland

Easter 2014 we got an inofficial report by Interpol that a DNA proof had a match with a corpse found in the south of Spain, in the area where the boat had been found in June 2012.
We still haven't got an official declaration of death by the Spanish authorities but it is good to know. The boat is sold, since none of us could take over. There is a memorial on our mother's grave, my new nephew is called Bo after Uncle Bo.

So he's still in the family, he may rest in peace, he fulfilled his life's dream.
best wishes, the good winds to all of you,
marianne
Old 09-30-2015, 09:28 AM   #12
Ensign

Home Port: Melbourne

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother MaSa, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Tags
island