Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > Overdue & Distress Reports
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-11-2010, 01:38 AM   #15
Boomerang!

Home Port: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Boomerang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
I know that both often profit from these kinds of lawsuits, but too often it's a lawyer who contacts the plaintiff with promises of lots of money and no cost to them.

Litigation in the US is an expensive proposition, and those who file spurious or frivolous lawsuits go unpunished. In France, for example, the plaintiff can be forced to pay the legal fees of both sides if they lose their case. That might give lawyers pause here.
Jeanne, I absolutly concur. Most lawsuits are, in fact, frivolous. Though there are disparagements in construction in SOME cases, most are not, and if you choose to go to sea, which can be dangerous, you should be responsible enough to make a sound decision on the type of vessel you want to trust your life to. AND, that is, IN FACT, your sole responsibility....

If anyone in this case is responsible, it is the University, NOT the Builder. This is one of the things that I am tiring of in the US. No one seems to accept the responisbility for anything...it is always someone else's fault....our current chief executive is not helping things....but that is the liberal mantra....reality seems to be lost....

S/V Boomerang!

1980 Cal 39 Mark II

St Michaels, MD
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #16
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

While I agree that many lawsuits are going after the deep pockets and on good bit have a shaky base the amount of lawsuits with solid basis that do not get brought forward due to lazy legal system and out right cover ups by those with vested interests to do so is equally scary.

I very much agree with taking responsibility for ones actions and try my best to live that ( I fail more often than I like). Continuing in that vain we need to stop the softening of the system and reducing of persons to number and class level or well will end up in Bureaucratic heaven which is a minor hell for any sane human.

The problem being the civil legal system in many countries (including the US) for the most does really serve justice. It servers those who know how to use and abuse it. Much of it's structure was based on the ability to claim damages against those who had broken a contract or done material damage of non criminal type to a person or state. In some cases to seek compensation for criminal damages beyond what the criminal system was/is allowed to award.

The Problem arises from not just the greed of the legal profession, but the debasing of a society and the greed that has been put in place of what once was.

For myself and my wife. We DON'T want a "better" life for our kids. We are trying and for the most part living a good life. We are trying to teach them to value life and what a good life is. What self responsibility is and dignity are. In this, coupled with a firm foundation in the classics and those works of science and reason that have with stood the test of time, they should have a much better than average change at not only attaining the goals they set but also not falling into the traps that society sets for folks.

For the Widow. I smell politics from outside. reasons being that if the marine service center was certified to work on hulls and do those kind of repairs than they should be covered under their insurance and it will sort itself. If they where not certified to do those types of repairs or there is no certification system for that (which there is not for many industries which is a mixed bag). I wish her peace and healing, how she achieves that is between her and God.

Fair wind folks and God bless,

Michael