Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > Overdue & Distress Reports
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Emily Pearl is sunk in 45 feet of water off the west coast of Nuku Hiva. The skipper Billy Landers has not been found. The Dinghy/Life-raft is not aboard, it is a dark green Portland Pudgy, which is a hard plastic sailing dinghy, and a certified life boat.

No indication yet as to whether it was launched or drifted away. Search continues today by air and sea and the local gendarmes will be searching the shore near the wreck as well.

Local divers found no one aboard, professional divers will be investigating the wreck today.

Anyone in the area please keep your eyes open.

Erik Dix

S/V Sidetrack

Old 05-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
Ensign

I am a cousin of the missing skipper, Billy Landers. It is the family's hope that enough information can be gathered to give a clue as to what may have caused Billy to be separated from his boat. If you see or hear anything related to this incident, no matter how trivial it seems, we'd like to hear about it. His children and extended family are grateful for the support of the sailing community. Thank you.

Have fun and stay safe.

Vicki (Landers) Biscay

vickibiscay@gmail.com

Old 05-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Admiral

This is from Joan & Chuck on S/V Tender Spirit now anchored at Nuka Hiva...taken from Sailblog.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/tend...?xjMsgID=88275

On a very somber note, S/V Emily Pearl from Port Angeles, WA sank and was found by local fishermen 7 kilometers from here, and the single hander, Billy is missing at sea. We had the pleasure of visiting with him over lobster when we first arrived. His dinghy is the same brand as ours, but dark green. It too is missing. We are all hoping that he is in it, but as the days go by, without a sighting, it does look grim. Nobody knows what happened, but the French Navy, cruisers, and local boats are out looking and trying to put the pieces together.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickibiscay View Post
I am a cousin of the missing skipper, Billy Landers. It is the family's hope that enough information can be gathered to give a clue as to what may have caused Billy to be separated from his boat. If you see or hear anything related to this incident, no matter how trivial it seems, we'd like to hear about it. His children and extended family are grateful for the support of the sailing community. Thank you.

Have fun and stay safe.

Vicki (Landers) Biscay

vickibiscay@gmail.com
Vicki,

Most detailed information is coming from Pacific Puddle Jump user group. The Pacific Puddle Jump is a rally for many of the boats heading from Mexico, US and Central America to Marquesas. You can find the user group communications amongst the sailors and make contact with the sailor directly at:

pacificpuddlejump@yahoogroups.com
Old 05-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Thank you, Trim50 for providing information.

Thanks, too, for those who respond to my email off-line. I am grateful to all of you.

Vicki
Old 05-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
Admiral

From Puddle Jump User Group

I've been talking with the local Gendarmes, and Bill's family.

No sign of either Bill yet. His green Portland Pudgy dinghy has not been found either, and it is possible that he is out on it. Air searches were continuing as of yesterday, but may have been now been suspended.

His Islander 36 is was holed and sunk sometime Sunday night or Monday morning and divers confirmed he was not aboard. So he has been missing now for 6 days.

The dinghy has an exposure canopy and a sail, and is certified as a life boat. The wreck was breaking up pretty badly when the MRCC divers got to it (the stove was found 4 meters form the boat) but his portable VHF passport and ID were not found, waiting for word on whether his ditch bag was aboard.

What I believe were his dinghy straps were found intact and I have an unverified report that the attachment points on the bow were not broken. Still possible that it may have slipped free and floated away.

Erik

S/V Sidetrack
Old 06-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
Ensign

Hi, We are Jeannie and Capt Pat Hughes, from the Schooner Patricia Belle. We have known Billy since 2002 when we met in Hilo, Hawaii after he had single handed from the Pacific Northwest, and we had crossed from Z-town. Over the years we have become true sailor friends, doing the things together that we do best, singing and guitar playing, sharing coffee, meals, cold drinks, (when we could get ice!) and sailing too! Does anyone have an update, before we write our kids and personal friends of Billy's MIA status? Thanks!
Old 06-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
Ensign

Does any one have an update about Emily Pearl or Billy. Any news, any info, would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeannie Hughes and Capt Patrick from the Schooner Patricia Belle.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:10 AM   #9
Ensign

Summer is here, a time of rain, wind and tropical storms.....We wondered if there was any news or closure for those of us who are missing Billy of the S/V Emily Pearl. Our prayers go out to those who know him and love him. Our lives will never be the same.

Thank you Billy from all of us...... Jeannie and Capt Patrick Hughes from the Schooner Patricia Belle.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriciaBelle View Post
Summer is here, a time of rain, wind and tropical storms.....We wondered if there was any news or closure for those of us who are missing Billy of the S/V Emily Pearl. Our prayers go out to those who know him and love him. Our lives will never be the same.

Thank you Billy from all of us...... Jeannie and Capt Patrick Hughes from the Schooner Patricia Belle.
Patrick and Jeannie,

I met you briefly in Mazatlan, Billy introduced us. I've only just joined this forum, or I would have replied earlier. The MRCC (French Polynesian Coast Guard) called off the search after a few weeks. They did intensive sweeps by air, land and sea but never turned up anything more than debris from the wreck. After that, news went out across the South Pacific, most people I've talked to have seen the story on the news. To my knowledge nothing more was ever reported, and the dingy was never found.

Billy and I left Mazatlan at the same time, both singlehanded and bound for Nuku Hiva. He was a good friend, and I miss him a lot.

Erik

S/V Sidetrack