Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > Overdue & Distress Reports
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #21
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywest View Post
No Excuse.

Skipper should have the boat confiscated by NZ authorities and sold to cover the cost of the search.

There is no excuse these days for not having the radio VHF (& HF for an international crossing), turned on - let alone not carrying a sat phone, and making aware the RSBL (Responsible Shore Based Liaison) or authorities of progress - ETA and well being of crew.

Thats a responsibility to your passengers and crew and their relatives and the nations thru who's waters your sailing, who have the responsibility to rescue you.

Further, the skipper should be charged with running an illegal international charter / cruise, in an un-surveyed vessel and with unqualified master and crew - he should be jailed - 10 years would seem appropriate.

Then we might see some more professionalism and a little less bravado from the wannabe world sailing warriors who seem to prevail on this forum!

Those of us who are qualified at what we do, and who take our responsibilities in this respect seriously, get VERY peed off at some of the opinions bordering on criminal in neglect expressed on this forum from time to time..

I'll tell you - you carry a HF and a sat phone - even my tenders carry a damned sat phone each, along with the ditch buckets, which carry sat phones - water proof hand held GPS, spare epirbs flares water and so on.

Guys who make excuses after the fact - shouldn't be on the water!

Lift your game - your giving the rest of us a bad name!

Cheers
Say WHAT??? You need to climb down off that horse. Most of us don't have Sat phones, let alone several of them.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:06 PM   #22
Ensign

Gday and thanks for replies Stephen, David and Jeanne,

I am an Australian flagged vessel, currently in the UK. The boat hasn't been in Oz yet, so I will have issues to sort out with licenses for radios when I get back, although that will be five or six years from now so the rules will probably change in the meantime. My SSB radio is also a Ham radio so if I get a license for that it might cover me for everything else, if it gets too hard maybe I'll take all the radios off and hide a handheld VHF onboard for when I need it. Having to leave radios on at all times including when at anchor is absolutely stupid, moronic and idiotic. I am disgusted and disappointed that my own country would have evolved down to this level of beauracratic nonsense.

If you are on a ship I can understand the rules being stricter, but to require cruisers to comply with the same rules is wrong.

Now I need to mellow out.........

Old 12-13-2007, 02:43 AM   #23
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by marno View Post
...if it gets too hard maybe I'll take all the radios off and hide a handheld VHF onboard for when I need it. Having to leave radios on at all times including when at anchor is absolutely stupid, moronic and idiotic. I am disgusted and disappointed that my own country would have evolved down to this level of beauracratic nonsense.

If you are on a ship I can understand the rules being stricter, but to require cruisers to comply with the same rules is wrong.
This isn't bureaucratic nonsense, it's common sense, it's 'what goes around comes around,' it's Karma, it's the fellowship of the sea.

The solution is quite simple. If you are not available to respond to a Mayday because you won't turn your radio on unless YOU need it, then you should not ask others to respond to your requests. So get rid of all your radios and you'll be okay - no wasting electricity, no knowledge of what others are doing, and no chance that others will be asked to come help you.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:35 AM   #24
Ensign

I am quite happy to leave my VHF on all the time while I am on the move. I also check in on local radio nets on the SSB when I am on ocean voyages, although I don't have the power to leave the SSB on all the time.

I find it hard to believe that any cruisers would be happy to leave both radios on all the time while at anchor though.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #25
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

When I am onboard, even in the marina, I have my VHF on. I don't power-up the UHF unless I am on the move. Unfortunately, the virtual abandonment by the Oz authorities of Seaphone, and the advent of mobile phones has made listening to VHF a lot less fun than it used to be.

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
When I am onboard, even in the marina, I have my VHF on. I don't power-up the UHF unless I am on the move. Unfortunately, the virtual abandonment by the Oz authorities of Seaphone, and the advent of mobile phones has made listening to VHF a lot less fun than it used to be.

David.
Hear hear. I've always wanted to learn Korean so I can understand what is being said on VHF 16, especially passing places like Newcastle and Gladstone. And aside from the language issue, I wish the tanker drivers would stay off the calling channels for their evening chats.

Del
Old 12-13-2007, 12:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywest View Post
No Excuse.

Skipper should have the boat confiscated by NZ authorities and sold to cover the cost of the search.

Further, the skipper should be charged with running an illegal international charter / cruise, in an un-surveyed vessel and with unqualified master and crew - he should be jailed - 10 years would seem appropriate.

I'll tell you - you carry a HF and a sat phone - even my tenders carry a damned sat phone each, along with the ditch buckets, which carry sat phones - water proof hand held GPS, spare epirbs flares water and so on.

Guys who make excuses after the fact - shouldn't be on the water!

Lift your game - your giving the rest of us a bad name!

Cheers
Since this was in reply to my message -- what part about what I'd done makes you think I need to have my boat confiscated?

Did you read what I'd said? I contacted authorities on both VHF and HF. Even though I was in contact with them on HF, they raised the alarm because I didn't also contact them on VHF -- despite the fact that I'd said on HF that I was outside of VHF contact range.

Get off your high horse.

Del
Old 12-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #28
Admiral

Del et al,

Member Flywest has been suspended as of today.

aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Del et al,

Member Flywest has been suspended as of today.

aye // Stephen
Pity you've had to do that but if the guy can't behave himself on a forum then good riddance.

Del

Tags
new zealand