Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > Overdue & Distress Reports
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Island Escape
Default The Next Generation Float Plan

Hello,

I have developed a free website that I hope can reduce the threads in this Overdue & Distress Reports forum. Float Plan Registry is a free float planning and overdue notification system for all boaters. It allows mariners to file float plans in seconds and connect with other boaters through virtual yacht clubs.

I'm interested in all feedback. My mission is to encourage more boaters to file float plans. I'm doing this by trying to make Float Plan Registry a tool that boaters use because they want to, not just because filing a float plan is the right thing to do.

-Jim

Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Looks interesting.

From the point of view of this forum and other sites -- what does the API look like? Can I use an interface to retrieve my float plan and publish it in the forum or on my own site?

Also the float plan site looks very US centric.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi delatbabel,

Each published float plan has a unique URL that is accessible by any of the contacts you associate with it. You may associate as many emergency contacts with a plan as you wish. For privacy reasons, the URL cannot be accessed by the general public. The reason for this is to protect the identity of your emergency contacts, crew, and the guests you may have aboard.

However, you can setup a virtual yacht club and share core float plan information with friends, friends of friends, or even make it publicly available to any member of the Float Plan Registry.

As for the US centric plan content ....I'm not married to the format and definitely willing to make it as friendly as possible to all counties.

-Jim
Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #4

Thanks Jim. just a couple of questions and comments on that.

Does that mean that my emergency contacts have to be members of the float plan site to get access to my float plan? My primary emergency contact is my mother and I don't think she could figure out how to join a web site to see my float plan. It would be easier if there was a unique URL that was mailed to her and she could just click on it -- she may even have to get one of her grandkids to help with that much.

Although I'm generally good with the privacy thing, I'd really like it if MRNSW or the AMRCC could get access to my float plan without having to log in. That way if my contacts got an overdue alarm they could forward it on to marine rescue, water police or other agencies without having to create logins for them. Perhaps a limited portion of the float plan that is public would be the best solution to that.

To be honest if I'm in the southern ocean I'd prefer that everyone knew where I was rather than nobody knew where I was.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Ensign

Delatbabel,

No, emergency contacts do not have to be members. They receive an email with a link to your float plan exactly how you have said. They click the link in the email and are presented with your float plan in their browser.

I've considered creating a special dashboard for rescue agencies where they could see all overdue checkpoints as a list and on a google map, much like how the yacht club events feature works now for members viewing other members float plans. This of course would require that they have a login. Maybe a "PDF" button next to the exiting printer-friendly link on the float plan would help? A contact could PDF the float plan and email to an external source.

-Jim
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
Delatbabel,

No, emergency contacts do not have to be members. They receive an email with a link to your float plan exactly how you have said. They click the link in the email and are presented with your float plan in their browser.

-Jim
OK, and what would prevent my contact from forwarding the email with the link to the maritime rescue agencies and have them click on the same link? That seems to me like the simplest solution.

Anyway, I hope I'm giving you ideas for your site and some Q&A for your FAQ.

Del
Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #7

And yes, a PDF of the float plan would help. That way if all else failed, I could print some copies, leave one with a friend locally, stick one on my fridge, and drop one in at the MRNSW office just nearby.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
OK, and what would prevent my contact from forwarding the email with the link to the maritime rescue agencies and have them click on the same link? That seems to me like the simplest solution.

Why didn't I think of that!? That would work just fine!

Tags
float plan, virtual yacht club