Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > Overdue & Distress Reports
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-20-2008, 03:33 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

This story is from the Yomiuri Shimbun about a yacht sized fishing boat, run down by a Japanese warship...

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national...20TDY02307.htm

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:05 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
This story is from the Yomiuri Shimbun about a yacht sized fishing boat, run down by a Japanese warship...

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national...20TDY02307.htm
The most telling statement carried by the report, for me was " The question that must be answered is how a state-of-the-art destroyer boasting advanced air defense capabilities did not notice a small fishing vessel ahead of it"

Old 02-20-2008, 05:13 AM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
The most tell statement carried by the report, for me was " The question that must be answered is how a state-of-the-art destroyer boasting advanced air defense capabilities did not notice a small fishing vessel ahead of it"
Because fishing vessels don't fly!

Joking aside, it is a very valid question. The air defence radar would not pick the fishing vessel up as it was probably looking in the wrong place (skywards) and the computer , if it did pick the fishing vessel up, would delete the information from the operator's screen as there would be a lower speed limit set so that targets below flying speed and false echos are not presented to avoid confusing the picture.

Of course, the ship's surface and navigational radars should have picked up the fishing vessel as should the hydrophones not to mention the lookouts standard issue Mark 1 eyeballs!

I noticed that the destroyer was on its way into Tokyo Bay. It is a long time since I was in Japan but I remember the entrances to both Tokyo Bay and the Inland Sea as being more difficult than the Dover Straits due to the volume of traffic and particularly the numbers of fishing boats. No C/O in his right mind would think of being in that area without lookouts posted. I smell a rat. This could be a cover up. I am guessing but I assume the lookout reported the fishing boat, the O.O.W. mentioned it to the C/O too but he "knew" there was no danger and just kept on going. Speculation I know but I have learned that collisions and grounding are in 99.9% of the time due to human error on the part of the ship's officers.

Very embarrassing for the Japanese Defence Force.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:27 AM   #4
Admiral

From the newspaper / Internet article...

"Under normal circumstances, there's no way that [a crew member] wouldn't have noticed the fishing boat before the collision", the officer added.

However, it is possible that the small size of the boat meant it may have been obscured by waves and therefore did not appear on the destroyer's radar."

Just indulge me a moment with a couple more comments prompted by the above quote.

1. Why, if the fishing vessel was observed, (the quote says there is NO WAY it would not have been noticed) did the collision occur?

2. I doubt very much the "wave theory" as, if the seas were that high why did the little fishing vessel remain at sea when the weather was too bad for fishing? Radar is not infallible as it is, after all, an invention of humans: a species known to have committed errors in the past. But a state-of-the-art radar should not be so easily confused. We do rely on them for our defence.

Signing off and looking forward to getting some more information. Real information that is an not Defence Ministry, pull the wool over your eyes, bull.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote