Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > Overdue & Distress Reports
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #21
Ensign

We lose our internet connect tomorrow, but when I get Terry's diagnosis I will e-mail it to richard.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:52 AM   #22
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estarzinger View Post
Richard,

Again thanks for helping and we have sent a big thanks to John and Heather on Dancyn. It's a small world, as we spent quite a bit of time with them around Hawaii several years ago.
Terry will also and always be remembered for his great skills and bravery as a Helcopter pilot - one special mission where he and a co-pilot and 2 winchmen, rescued three injured seamen from a crippled oil rig supply vessel off Shetland after being injured when an explosion ripped through the engine room of Polar 901 as she approached the oil rig pentagon 82 in storm lashed seas 90 miles South-East of Sumburgh.

A coastguard spokesman at Lerwick said the Polar 901 was drifting without power in gale force winds and heavy seas though the fire was under control. The injured men were put aboard the rig while the helicopter from Bristow Helicopters, at Sumburgh, refuelled before flying to Aberdeen.

Terry is again saluted for his skill and endurance in getting No Komis to her destination.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #23
Ensign

We have been out of internet contact for two months coming south down the chilean channels. But I did wnat to close off this situation with the following e-mail we got from Terry:

Hi Evans and Beth, Thanks for your note, too. The only cause can think of for the flooding problem was that a screen through which the impleller draws water was contaminated with grease and oil from the bilge sump and allowed a syphon to start. Once I pumped out the bilge with a portable manual pump, I checked the electric bilge pump, cleared the screen and reinstalled it. There was no further water coming into the bilge, so I assume that the plugged bilge pump was the problem. There is a check valve in the overboard hose which was okay. Once again, thanks to you both for the assistance you gave Barbara. I know she was very grateful for your support and support from the net controllers. We (Barbara and my two brothers) are gathering as much information as we can. USCG Alameda wasn't very helpful at all and wouldn't reply to requests for update, so my brother sent a strongly-worded email to the CO of the station and did receive an apology for not responding, explaining that they were very busy - with all of five other SAR actions - and explained that once Jakarta was notified of the EPIRB hits, the buck was passed. The Foreign Affairs department of the Canadian government was very helpful in getting the Embassy in Jakarta to chase up the Indonesian authorities but I think to no avail. We have asked them for a resume of their activities with respect to the Indonesian authorities. That's where it stands now and I will put something together when we have all the relevant information. I wish you and Beth a very happy Christmas in the channels and all the best for the coming year. I wish we were there with you as it would be much more comfortable than the heat and humidity of the Singapore area. Warmest regards,Terry
Old 02-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #24
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Thank you for the update Evans - most appreciated.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote