Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > Overdue & Distress Reports
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-06-2007, 02:04 AM   #1
Ensign

We just got this message from a friend's wife. Her husband's epirb went off and he dropped off the nets and e-mail. The local SAR does not seem to have many assets/capabilities. We don't know Indonesia very well, anyone have any suggestions as to any other actions she should take?

Great to hear from you and get the photos. Life is stressful for me right now. Terry and "No Komis" are the subject of a search by Search & Rescue, Indonesia. The EPIRB went off last Sat afternoon, transmitted for about 25 hours and stopped. There has been no sailmail since Nov28. Terry was leaving the next day for a brief overnight passage of 100nm. This could be a series of events, none serious, but then again, who knows. Any one thing is no problem, but putting them together does make you wonder what has happened. Maybe he is sitting on a beach sitting under a palm tree, in a little village that has never even heard of the internet, drinking cold Bintangbeer and eating mangoes, totally oblivious to all the chaos he has left in his wake. His brothers have now contacted Consular Services so they are dealing with people in Indonesia. Dealing with the EPIRB people has been awful. I guess they make 2 phone calls, one to the emergency contact, one to the country where the signal went off....that's it. I have been contacting people to get the health & welfare msg out on the nets. We have heard nothing. Will let you know when I know. I want this to have a happy ending. Hugs, Barbara

Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 AM   #2
Admiral

Some places in Indonesia are worse than others. Do you know where he was in Indonesia when he communicated by Sailmail Nov. 28? Indonesia's so complicated with over 1,000 islands, it helps to have a general idea of location.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:45 AM   #3
Ensign

I have asked for the lat/longs of the epirb position, and last know position. Should get them tomorrow, will post them.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
Ensign

Hello, we have just sailed through Indonesia on the Sail Indonesia rally and the man who managed the rally from the Indonesian side Raymond Lesmana, is incredibly helpful, has friends in high places and may be able to help you. Please email me at (cruzingmurphs AT gmail.com) for his number. If we can be of any further assistance please do email me. Good Luck, our thoughts are with you.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
Ensign

This additional information:

The Canadian Embassy is involved with officials in Jakarta who contacted SAR, Jakarta. They have been instructed to search for one week. SAR Jakarta passed the file onto the closest SAR office which is Tanjung Pinang, Bintan Island, lat: 0.54.36N, 104.270E to conduct the search which is ongoing using Navy and Coast Guard resources. Apparently, the weather is not good right now, winds are strong and seas of 2 to 4 metres. They are unable to get there due to weather conditions, but will do so as soon as weather permits. Hopefully, by the time you read this, conditions will be better.

I had flown home from Bali to have Christmas with my family and Terry was taking the boat from Bali to Singapore. He got to Muntoc, Bangka Island, spent 2 nights there, got fuel and provisions. The last sailmail from him was Nov28, position lat: 02.05S, long:105.10E from Muntoc. He was leaving the next morning from Muntoc for an overnight of 100nm which would get him to Lingga. On Dec.1, Terry's brother received a call from the EPIRB office saying they received a hit. To my knowledge, they have never supplied us with their lat/long info, but then I get this second hand. The epirb transmitted for 25 hours, then stopped. Again, poor info from epirb officials, saying within 3 miles(no specific direction) of the last position, which was what I supplied in the first place. There has been no contact from Terry since Nov.28.

EDIT: We have received new info from SAR, Indonesia on No Komis: Last known position from the EPIRB 02-12-07 lat:00.43S, long:105.106E@17:45gmt.

I'm confident he completed the overnight and is in some anchorage. Possibly, the alternator died and he has no power for anything, not even a cold beer.

But, when you combine the epirb with the lack of communication, it's worth investigating. Either incident on it's own would not be a concern.

The yacht No Komis is a Fraser 41 sloop, white hull, white sails,black dodger, white bimini with a red Tinker dinghy overturned on the foredeck.

Also on the foredeck are about 7 jerry cans in total divided between sb and port, and a black outboard engine on the sb side. There are 2 solar panels aft, one on each side. There is a wind generator sb side with a Canadian flag under the blades. The boat name is painted on the sb and port bow and also on the transom with port of registry, Vancouver, B.C.

Here is the other info you requested: there is marine VHF & HF(no HAM), no radio sked, only position reports done by sailmail to YOTREPS, boat #CFL3844, no Winlink.

From Lingga, Terry was heading north through the Riau group to Nongsa, Batam Island to do his Indonesia check-out before heading to Singapore. If he couldn't do the clearance in Nongsa, he was going to Sekupang, 15nm west of Nongsa. He estimated a couple of stops between Lingga and Nongsa because there were anchorages available. Normally, he only stops for 1 night in an anchorage.

Brunei Bay radio has been broadcasting an alert 12x a day with the weather report, the German net has the info and another net in Malaysia, Sandeq?

Thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything.

Warm regards,

Barbara
Old 12-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
Ensign

Looking at that latest location (in deep water but relatively dense shipping) and time (1am local) I am concerned he may have been run down by shipping.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estarzinger View Post
Looking at that latest location (in deep water but relatively dense shipping) and time (1am local) I am concerned he may have been run down by shipping.
Hello Barbara,

Thanks for all the information, which I will use on the HF mobile maritime net S.E Asia net in half an hours time .

The question of being able to communicate effectively at this time is determined by propagation. which is extraordinarily VERY poor at this time !!! (this could also be a factor when considering lack of sailmail reports to YOTREPS at Pangolin. )

The location of the Epirb position is west of the big ship lanes, the Caster bank is only 23 metres - but many local fishing boats are in those waters. Click image for larger version

Name:	Caster_Bank.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	271

I am fairly confident that we will have news soon.

Stay well

Richard
Old 12-07-2007, 12:30 AM   #8
Admiral

Hello Barbara,

I have spoken to a number of yachts in South East Asian waters this morning 7th Dec. 0045 UTC .

One Yacht S/Y Dancyn ( KI4 WFP) is some 180 nm south of the Epirb position and John is now proceeding to that position. Other yachts and land based hams are calling on frequencies used by yachts , to establish contact or get info. I will involve other yachts during the day.

Have you considered contacting the Singapore SAR ??

The address of the Rescue Co-ordination Centre is as follows:-

The Singapore Rescue Co-ordination Centre

60, Biggin Hill Road

Singapore 509950

Tel : (65) 65425024 Fax : (65) 65422548

Tel : (65) 65412668 or (65) 65412698 - SATCC

AFS : WSJCZGZX or WSJCYCYX

Email : CAAS_RCC@caas.gov.sg

http://www.caas.gov.sg/caas/en/About_CAAS/...ue/?__locale=en
Old 12-07-2007, 01:24 AM   #9
Ensign

Hi Richard, Thanks very very much for the help. I forwarded your messages on to Barbara and sent her a link to this thread.

Evans
Old 12-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #10
Ensign

From Barbara to Richard:

I have been doing pretty good, until I read your last email, and the fact that Dancyn is proceeding to Terry's last known position. I just burst into tears with gratitude. Please pass on my heartfelt thanks to him. Also, let him know that SAR, Indonesia are involved in the search utilizing the Navy and Coast Guard.

I am awaiting confirmation of the lat/long from the SAR report. The long looks a little odd.

I'll keep in touch.

Warm regards,

Barbara
Old 12-07-2007, 12:22 PM   #11
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Well done Richard! Let's hope for a positive result.

Cheers and best wishes,

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #12
Ensign

New information from the EPIRB office. They now say the last know position just as the epirb went out was:

This is the last recorded EPIRB position from the Alameda office: lat:

00.44.7S, long:105.06.2E transmitted at 0059Z, Dec,02/07.

They can't explain what the previous position (lat:00.43S, long:105.106) they gave us was, but the two are not too far apart.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:12 PM   #13
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estarzinger View Post
New information from the EPIRB office. They now say the last know position just as the epirb went out was:

This is the last recorded EPIRB position from the Alameda office: lat:

00.44.7S, long:105.06.2E transmitted at 0059Z, Dec,02/07.

They can't explain what the previous position (lat:00.43S, long:105.106) they gave us was, but the two are not too far apart.
Hello Barbara and Evans,

The difference to me is the time . The first position at 9am local time 0n the 2nd Dec , and the 2nd position at 1.45 am on the following day the 3rd Dec.

Taking the 2 positions on the basis of degrees , minutes and seconds. the Epirb moved 4.214 nm - ENE on a bearing of 75 degrees, during a period of around 17 hours (about 1/4 kt/hr)

The distance of course is academic but the direction of drift (if Correct) is important.

I will pass your info. on to Dancyn in half an hours time.

Stay Well.

Richard
Old 12-08-2007, 02:41 AM   #14
Admiral

Confirmed new position information to S/Y Dancyn at 0045 UTC this morning 8th Dec 07.

Dancyn is proceeding to the area. Also brought in other Ham operators including S/Y Cathouse KB6 VAT who will log in to various yachtie nets during the day to see if we can find any yachts that are close by to the south of of Linga Island.

Evans , please check your email inbox - re setting up a liaison to interpret with Indonesian authorities.

Stay well

Richard
Old 12-08-2007, 11:52 AM   #15
Ensign

From Barbara

Great news! Terry is alive and darn exhausted.

His passage to Lingga was the trip from hell, winds on the nose 25-30kts, seas 3m, when the boat started taking on water. The engine block was more than half under water, batteries in water, water everywhere and the boat sinking. Terry called a Mayday on Ch16. No response. He set off 6 flares. No response. The HF wasn't working. He activated the EPIRB and prepared the dinghy, trying one last time to get the water under control as the pumps couldn't keep up. He made enough headway to keep on sailing and make landfall.

He has made his way to Tanjung Pinang, Bintan and did a check-in, check-out with port authorities. I asked Terry if they told him he was the subject of a search being handled by that SAR office. He said they didn't say a thing.

Please notify the contacts that you initiated with the net controller for s e Asia and various websites, and especially s/v Dancyn, underway somewhere out there looking for No Komis. I hope they didn't get caught out in that same horrible weather.

Beth and Evans, my gratitude to you is immeasurable. The cruising community was incredible with their support and logistical help. Please pass on my and Terrys sincere thanks to everyone involved

Warm hugs,

Barbara.

RICHARD, My great thanks for your response and help. I think we all know that in 95% of these cases the yacht is found just fine, but if I ever have to let off my EPIRB I would like to know that guys like you will be actively looking for me. EVANS
Old 12-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #16
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Great news! Thank you for letting us know so promptly and please pass on our good wishes.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #17
Admiral

Barbara, Terry and Evans,

GREAT NEWS - Alive and exhausted .

I will advise all interested and concerned to stand down - John on Dancyn , the Ham Operators and the many Cruising yachts who are on mobile maritime nets in this region.

Questions :- have the Indonesian SAR - Navy - Coast Guard been advised ??

Where is the yacht No Komis ?? and what shape now ? Does Terry need any assistance regarding the yacht ?

Stay well

Richard

PS : here is a picture from my data base of S/Y No Komis rounding Cape Horn in a medium blow :

Click image for larger version

Name:	NoKomis.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	272
Old 12-09-2007, 12:07 AM   #18
Admiral

To confirm at 0100 GMT , S/Y Dancyn informed of Terry's safe arrival. Hams and Mobile Maritime Nets also informed of S/Y No Komis having arrived in Tanjung Pinang - Bintan Island (just south of Singapore) also that he has checked out of Indonesia.

Richard
Old 12-09-2007, 02:01 AM   #19
Ensign

Richard,

Again thanks for helping and we have sent a big thanks to John and Heather on Dancyn. It's a small world, as we spent quite a bit of time with them around Hawaii several years ago.

The Indonesian have been informed both bottom up from the port captain and top down from the consulate and from USCG SAR. However, there is no telling how effective their internal communication is, so there may still be assets who are uninformed.

Terry isn't sure at the moment what the cause of the water intake was. He has his theories but he wants to get to Sebana Cove Marina, Johor , Malaysia, get settled, and have a good look. He thought he should be there in 3 days. No overnights necessary and he will be in an area of traffic. He sounded pretty shaken by the whole experience, but feels able to proceed to Johor.

I have asked for a report when he diagnoses the original problem and Barbara says : "You can bet I will get back to you. We all want to learn from this. No Komis has been a very seaworthy boat."

By the way, I have been collecting my thoughts/lessons learned from this at FAQ 37 on http://www.bethandevans.com/faqs.htm. If you have any comments or suggestions I would love to hear them. You can e-mail them directly to estarzinger (at) hotmail.com, or post here. Thanks
Old 12-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #20
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Evans

Please let us all know what the cause of the water intake was when you hear.

Thank you for keeping us up to date.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote