Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
CharlesAtSea

Home Port: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Shamwari
Send a message via Skype™ to charlesAtSea
Default The $100 hookah

After years cruising my Tayana 37 between SF and Mexico, decided to put a hookah aboard. Nice to be able to clean the bottom, but mainly I want to be able to spend more time underwater if I get snagged in a net on the outside of the Baja. I just past 70, can't hold my breath as long as I used to.

There are some good systems out there in the $1000 range.

I assembled mine for a few bucks north of $100.Harbor Freight has oil-less 3 gal 100 psi compressors on sale for $40. You read that right, forty USD. Half price. Brand new regulator (eBay) about $60. PVC hose - mine is 50'. $12. Heat in warm water, soak with mild solution of simple green and flush well to get rid of plastic taste. 3/8" hose fittings Home Depot or Harbor Freight.

I field tested mine in a Bay Area marina, wearing 3/4 wet suit. Awesome!

[As I just fact checked this, I found hookah regulators on eBay for $28 new. I would still go with the $60 ones, much nicer.]

Glad to answer any questions.
Charles Lane SV SHAMWARI
five one zero-825-8552

[HEY!! YOU OUT THERE!! NEED I ADD, DON'T USE THIS FOR DEEP SEA DIVING!!!!! CLEAN YOUR BOTTOM, CUT THAT TWISTED POLYPROP WRAPPED AROUND THE PROP SHAFT, AND GO BACK UP!!! THANKS.]
Attached Thumbnails
compressor.jpg   Screenshot_2014-08-17-09-05-54.jpg  

Old 08-11-2017, 11:41 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: Punta Gorda, Fl. USA
Vessel Name: Ten-Ten

surprised not to see any comments on this. This is the same thing I am using. Works grat for bottom work..
Ted

Old 08-12-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I think, for those who want a hookah, this is worthy of a serious research effort. I have often pondered buying a hookah. But the fact is, I would rarely use it and storage space is always at a premium. Currently, I have an air tank which I leave on deck, while the 20' of airhose and single weight keep me comfortably unrestricted below the surface when I need to work on the hull.

Otherwise, for recreational use, I prefer a snorkel. Every time I have been lured by the thought of buying a hookah, a few minutes of reflection has caused me to abandon the idea. Indeed during recent boat shows, I have looked at hookas 'in the flesh'. I was amazed to discover how big they are.

Anyhow, to each his own.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:03 AM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

We already had a Porter Cable pancake compressor (oil-less one similar to the Harbor Freight one in the ad) because of work we do on cars and the boat using air tools. For us, we just got a good hose (material approved for use in this application but sorry can't tell you what it was -- clear light blue material and not costly, available at Home Depot actually for air hoses) and we put a good Campbell Haas (spelling?) filter on the system and started using it with a regular regulator and dive mask (hookah ones are lower pressure) and a hookah harness that goes over you shoulder leaving the hose nipple on your back nicely. Have been cleaning our boats since 2006 with this system--and using it for air tools as well.

We installed ours on its own little platform in the engine compartment adjacent the transmission. We run a long hose out a nearby cowl vent and keep the hose on a garden hose reel that we hang off the boom gallows when in use. It's maybe a 100 ft hose. Not long enough to check the anchor but long enough to clean the hull.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:32 PM   #5
Commander

Home Port: Royston

[QUOTE=redbopeep;45711]We already had a Porter Cable pancake compressor (oil-less one similar to the Harbor Freight one in the ad) because of work we do on cars and the boat using air tools. For us, we just got a good hose (material approved for use in this application but sorry can't tell you what it was -- clear light blue material and not costly, available at Home Depot actually for air hoses) and we put a good Campbell Haas (spelling?) filter on the system and started using it with a regular regulator and dive mask (hookah ones are lower pressure) and a hookah harness that goes over you shoulder leaving the hose nipple on your back nicely. Have been cleaning our boats since 2006 with this system--and using it for air tools as well.

A professional diver friend got seriously screwed up, health wise, breathing air from an engine compartment.I hope you have an outside intake hose .
A friend cruising Mexico on the credit card was spending money like a drunken sailor.He bought a Brownies third lung for over $3K.He got home deep in debt. He offered it to me for $1k. A couple of years later I bought it for $500. The gs tank was rusty so I copied it in stainless, as i knew it would spend a lot of time empty.
Love it! Takes me down to 70 feet , as long as I'm not doing anything strenuous.
I was thinking about a pony bottle, in case the engine quits.
Instead, I rigged a reserve tank on the surface, out of an old stainless pressure tank. Give me 2 minutes of time when I hear the engine quit.
Rabid divers out cruising ,stopped using their tanks altogether, once they got a hookah. No more hydros ,visuals , fills etc. No more depending on others for your air . Just pennies worth of gas, for hours of diving.