Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

View Poll Results: Do you perform pre-crossing inspections of your hull/fittings/rudder?
Yes 8 100.00%
No 0 0%
Hadn't thought about it, I will now though! 0 0%
We would like to but we're not sure how? 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Halifax
Default Underwater inspection camera/device

Hi guys - finally decided to register for this site!

Wondering if anybody has ever used any underwater cameras?

We are trying to find a decent hull inspection device for pre-flight maintenance so to say. Has anybody ever thought of this? Any words or wisdom?

Thanks!
Lee

Old 05-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome aboard. Interesting topic. I did delete the link you had since this is your first post and it was looking a little like many spam links we get here. However, we're happy to have your post and discuss your topic and poll.

Heavily suggest that you consider actual dive and physical inspection prior to a "pre-crossing passage". We don't cross oceans every day, after all.

We do have underwater housings for our camera and video recorder but we always dive on the boat and have a person checking condition of things. A camera might be nice if you're in a seaway with a rudder problem or something which you want immediate assessment of and it's too dangerous to go overboard and check.

The larger camera stores are good sources of information for underwater housings for cameras and video cameras and can provide good info about waterproof cameras. Numerous folks are using outdoor housings/waterproof housings on small video cameras for extreme sports as well. Modified video surveillance cameras aren't usually as good as some of these other options. Underwater lighting is always an issue and that would be more important than the camera itself. Underwater lighting is often quite costly as well. Often, you can't see a thing when diving and the camera won't be able to see anything either.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Halifax

Hi there,

Sorry, didn't mean to raise flags with a link in my first ever post. It is of interest to us because we've recently had a few propeller foulings in very cold water. It got me thinking that I rarely see the bottom of my own boat. We thought perhaps a camera would do the trick. But I hate the idea of having even more electronics/batteries/things to break... Now I'm thinking maybe some sort of manual periscope would be great (I'm a dreamer and an engineer). If you could have some functionality to pan and rotate... with some decent leds built in. Would double as a great toy for the kids in tropical waters.

Thanks for the reply and the warm welcome!

Lee
Old 05-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #4

Yea, sorry for taking out your link, but I figured you'd come back and talk if you were a real cruiser!

I really like your manual periscope idea! It would be fun to have aboard as well. Again, lighting will be an issue and you'd probably have to have a good underwater light to attach to the bottom of the periscope as well. You know, problems always happen in the night! A handheld underwater diving light could be attached--probably.

I hope you design the periscope and please share how it works with us here!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Rear Admiral

Get a GoPro!

At around $310 AU with a depth limit of 60'm, fits in the palm of your hand and can be attached to the end of a pole, it's the most versatile high resolution video system about. I use it as a helmet mount for skydiving, mid mount on top of my large format commercial underwater stills camera, sea kayak bow mount and just recently a pole mount hull inspection in Borneo that I can give to Oz Customs to prove that the antifoul is still in top nick - you can't beat them. Google GoPro and you'll find all the info you need.

Fair winds,

Mico
Old 05-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #6

Yes, we have a GroPro Hero II--it is very nice. You can purchase after market lenses for it as well.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

I'm not a fan of electronics...

But I am also not a fan of going in cold water. Also prefer to see things myself rather than having someone else look and tell me what they saw.

Given that cameras have been getting better and cheaper and more reliable, there is a pretty good argument for them. If it means you see things more often, that's good. As you suggest, they also make fun toys for kids.

My buddy likes toys and usually ropes me into helping him wire and configure them. Our experience was that the optics were medium and that a good associated light source was key. This was a few years ago, though.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: Newport, RI
Vessel Name: Blackthorn

I have a dive mask with a built in video/still camera and use it during my inspections as a record and to verify what was found or not. I have not found it to be critical, but then, I have not found anything out of order.

Jim
Old 05-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

You make an interesting point. A camera - especially a high resolution still camera, makes a permanent record. A good set of pictures of your bottom (or mast or any other gear) allows careful inspection over time, the ability to go back to see something you forgot to look at, and something to compare to later pictures a year or three later.

"Was that there last year?"

"Is this getting worse?"

With your method, you can bring up the old image and see.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 AM   #10
Nicholson

Home Port: Grand Rapids
Vessel Name: ROXY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mico View Post
Get a GoPro!

At around $310 AU with a depth limit of 60'm, fits in the palm of your hand and can be attached to the end of a pole, it's the most versatile high resolution video system about. I use it as a helmet mount for skydiving, mid mount on top of my large format commercial underwater stills camera, sea kayak bow mount and just recently a pole mount hull inspection in Borneo that I can give to Oz Customs to prove that the antifoul is still in top nick - you can't beat them. Google GoPro and you'll find all the info you need.

Fair winds,

Mico
Big 10-4 on the GO PRO. It will be your main camera for everything including diving. THe Go Pro Hero is the choice unit for most of the extreme videos you see on You Tube. CHeck out their site and promo movies.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:37 AM   #11
Nicholson

Home Port: Grand Rapids
Vessel Name: ROXY

We bought a fujilm XP befor we knew of the GO PRO. Its good to 16 feet. These photos above and below water were taken in the channel at Killarney, Onterio North Channel.

The water is clear but you would probably miss anything small. Better to dive for serious inspection and barnicle counting.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3094.jpg   DSCF3097.jpg  
Old 02-15-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
Ensign

Home Port: Lodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
The water is clear but you would probably miss anything small. Better to dive for serious inspection and barnicle counting.
You have a very beautiful photos. Good camera. You can find some images on this page. The size isn't the best, but the main you can see.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #13
Ensign

Home Port: Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Yes, we have a GroPro Hero II--it is very nice. You can purchase after market lenses for it as well.
Same here. We got a gopro camera to use aboard our Pacific Seacraft 37 (https://pacificseacraft37.com/more-photos/). I stick it on the end of a boat hook and stick it into the water. It takes photos or video. A problem is that water here is sometimes very murky, so the camera disappears a couple feet down and sometimes get shots of just murkiness.