Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Ensign

Arrow

Hi All

I have a FASCO 110v non-self priming pump that circulates seawater for my Airconditioning and fridge/freezer compressors. Every time I turn it off and back on again, I get the same problem. Basically a small amount of air seems to get into the impeller housing that is sufficient to prevent the pump from circulating the seawater. It is easy enough to get started since I simply loosen a couple of the screws on the impeller back plate and open the unit a tiny crack so the air can hiss out before restarting. However, this is a real pain. I have already fitted a non-return valve on the suction side of the pump to prevent air getting in if we are heeled over through the thru-hull. But this problem is even occuring when we are at anchor or tied along side.

There are no apparent leaks between the pump and the compressors so I am at a loss.

Anyone ever experienced something similar?

Thanks

Richard

Old 07-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Ensign

Hi Richard,

Although our pump does not lose it's prime on the same frequency as yours, it does occasionally. We installed a direct connect with shut off valve to a pressurized fresh water line, between the raw water strainer and the pump. It's a simple matter of turning on the pump and opening the fresh water valve to restart the flow. Remember to close your shutoff valve again, or you will soon be without fresh water.

Peter