Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #1

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

OK, skipping the mfr. molded-in anti-skid and skipping the wood laid deck, what kind of antiskid paint/material have you'all found to be best for long lasting use? We're told by several folks that have recently put wood decks (laid) on their boats that their antiskid only lasted about 5 years before having to be re-done. We're in the process of re-decking our boat, therefore all options are open. We're staying away from a wood laid deck since we don't wish to put a thin veneer teak deck down (expected to last about 10 years) and know that it is difficult to keep a "real" laid deck free. Our boat originally had a 1.5" thick teak laid deck and it leaked like crazy rotting out deckbeams and causing all kinds of problems for the previous owners. We now have a .75" clear cedar overhead with two 9 mm sheets of marine plywood on top. Expecting to epoxy a fiberglass cloth on top of that and paint with something including antiskid. We've also considered traditional methods of canvas/paint which has a natural antiskid to it but think that will have even more maintenance requirements. I usually post these construction related questions on a wood boat message board but know that many of the owners/builders of those boats value traditional methods over practical use while cruising. I'd like to hear what is really working for real life cruisers. Thanks!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
Ensign

I like Treadmaster. No commercial interest here. Lasts long, looks fine and VERY good antiskid.

That said; when I bought my current vessel(GRP) it was repainted on deck with a 2-part paint from one of the main paint-seeling companys, and then a 1-part antiskid paint. Gives great protection against slipping on deck. The downside is, it's very abrasive on the oilskins when I am on my knees working on deck; and obviously on my bare skin too, if in my shorts. Like always, it's a trade-off...

To be happy for a month - get married

To be happy for a lifetime - get a sailboat
maxiswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

You should ckeck out Trim 50's blog... he has a great thread about redecking his boat... the methods he uses seem pretty full proof and are no doubt leakless.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
Lieutenant

We painted our glassed decks with Interlux Interdeck. One single coat almost 3 years ago now. Really should have done two, but we were leaving and had no more time. It's needs to have another coat laid on , but basically still looks pretty decent, even on the fore deck where the anchor chains have pounded it.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
You should ckeck out Trim 50's blog... he has a great thread about redecking his boat... the methods he uses seem pretty full proof and are no doubt leakless.
He did a great job with a veneer laid deck of the type that I don't wish to do. I've seen his website and its great, but again, not the method I wish to use on this deck.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
We painted our glassed decks with Interlux Interdeck. One single coat almost 3 years ago now. Really should have done two, but we were leaving and had no more time. It's needs to have another coat laid on , but basically still looks pretty decent, even on the fore deck where the anchor chains have pounded it.
Did you spray it on or roll it on? Also, did it end up with an even look as if sprayed on even if you painted it on? Thanks!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:23 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Rolled it on with a foam roller like you'd use for epoxy. Came out a matte or semi gloss type finish and really looks good.

I just delivered a boat today that I used Interdeck on the seats - it's really easy to work with. Just be sure you stop to stir it once in a while.

I build and restore boats for a living by the way.

My wife taped off and rolled all the nonskid on our 25 footer in one day , while I was in the shop working on a customers boat.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
Lieutenant

I have some samples of some stuff called Kiwi Grip which are very impressive. Sold in the US by a guy out of the pac northwest. I've been messing with it and will use that material on the deck on my steel boat. Also, I would saturate your deck with west's epoxy or similar prior to putting on your finishing coats. You don't want to be looking for leaks again anytime soon.

seer
Old 01-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
Ensign

I used Tredmaster on my P-36 held up great for over 15 years. They also sell a paint to paint over the old tredmaster if you like to improve the color. I never used the paint; but the new owner did and he loved it.

s/y NIRVANA, SO49
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:08 AM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
OK, skipping the mfr. molded-in anti-skid and skipping the wood laid deck, .... Thanks!
Hi its simple aim using 2 pack epoxi paint brush/roll it thihk and whan the paint is still wet i use poolfilter fine sand and put it in flower strainer and spead it over wet paint .(do only sections at the time)

This must be done in morning and let it dry for 24hours (make sure fine filtersand must be dry no moister if not put in the oven to dry out

This application is used imore than 50 years and it last 5-8 years

For cold wheather climates with frost to stop slipping apply second thin coat of paint and sand you need foot ware to walk on it )

Low cost and reliable for years