Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apolima View Post
Do not have a battery switch to connect to the house battery system.

If, in the remote case, the starting battery will not start the engine, use jumper cables in this emergency situation.

If you have a battery switch between starting and house systems it is too easy to forget that you left it on.
Of course this is where a VSR comes into play. I won't go into the full details, there are plenty of places on the internet where you can look up information. Basically the VSR connects the two batteries when the voltage at both is high (12.8V or over), meaning that a single charging circuit can charge both banks. When the voltage at either battery drops below 12.8V, e.g. as the house batteries discharge or the engine battery fires up the starter motor, the VSR disconnects the battery circuits. They are excellent set-and-forget devices.

Del

Old 08-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #16
Ensign

Thank you all so much, now have a much better understanding of the battery workings.

Found that engine does start fine with only the main battery on. So I was worrying for nothing.

Will in time take the advise to change the system, I can see that it would be so easy to forget to switch over. Like lots of second hand boats, I have many other jobs that for the moment are a little more important. Also one must have time to sail.

Cheers Fran.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
Ensign

Hi Fran, Batteries can be the biggest of headaches for the uneducated best get some time reading books or there are some good articles on the net,

Batteries usually end up sulfating because the are under charged and over discharged, this is the normal issue on many a sailing boat, With solar panels its not so bad as a slow charge over a long period wil not sulphate up as much but you should have a light that discharges the battery every few days to assist the battery cycling.

I have been experimenting with battery optomizer an friend of mine has been playing with for a few years.

Usually the batteries end up with a SG below 1200 and they are usually thrown out. I have a 84HP Perkins and we have rejunivated 2 200AH batteries in the last 4 months with this device and the batteries are up over 1300. This device will eventually be a must on boats that don't get used as much as they should. There are such devices on the market and should be considered if you have a decent battery bank.

Hope you have a great time on your boat

RossMonty