Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to karenmmc

Our Hunter 405 (1997 model) was hauled Friday for bottom paint and some minor maintenance. The boot-stripe is a bit on the dreary side. The shop (which we like) gave us an estimate of about $850. I'm sure they would do a great job.....but we would like to save a good bit of $$ and paint the boot-stripe ourselves.

I've searched the web and haven't really found a decent description of the process.

This is what I'm thinking we need to do: tape it off, sand and/or scuff, wash it off, re-tape w/fine-line tape, use tack-cloth, and roll on some fresh WestMarine paint.

I'm not looking for a perfect mirror image finish...I just want to brighten up the boat a bit and give it a little more "dock-appeal".

Has anyone done this and would care to offer an opinion of my stated plan? Thanks!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Oh, go for it! Its not too hard at all. The worse part is simply getting the tape on perfectly straight. Especially if one has a stern with a long overhang (as we do). If one has a reverse transom its much easier of course.

There are actually boot stripe paints made (I recently discovered this), you can also use a regular topside paint OR even use a bottom paint like one of the Petit Vivid paints that come in multiple colors some of which don't have Tin or Copper just the biocide.

If it is a very narrow boot stripe you could consider using the boot stripe tapes rather than painting. Or, get clever and paint a wider boot stripe and use on the contrasting color tapes to accent it.

Keep us informed as to what you do

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:57 AM   #3
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to karenmmc

OK, here's what I did...got up at 5:30AM for the 3.5 hr drive to Oriental....sorry, just had to share that....I needed to get the boot stripe painted TODAY because they're calling for 75+ degrees today, then 50 degrees and rain for the next 5-6 days! The boat is on the hard and they will start charging by the day after they are finished with the bottom paint and a few other minor isssues.....

Stopped by West Marine and picked up 2 pints of Flag Blue Brightside

Sanded bootstripe with 220 grit sandpaper using vibrating sander. (Boot stripe was gel-coat, not paint) Faded, oxidized, spotty, ugly.

Wiped with wet cloth to remove dust.

Wiped with paper towels and acetone.

Applied "green" 3M masking tape from local NAPA store. (Blue fine line plastic tape was going to cost $30!!) Took exactly 2 rolls - 3/4" tape. I taped very close to the original line -about 2.5' at a time. Then I added an additional piece of tape to equal a total of about 1 1/4" masked area to prevent any over-runs.

Used tack cloth - pressing the tape line forcefully to make sure it was well-adhered.

Used Lowe's brand 3" foam roller to apply the Brightsides.

Once you start, you have to keep on trucking down the entire 40 feet!! I was in the sun, so the paint dried a little quicker than I would like. If I had it to do over, I would have added a little 333 solvent to make it dry more slowly.

I tried the tip and roll method with a brush. I found a more satisfactory result by simply rolling it. It rolls on a bit "foamy" - keep going a foot or two...then come back in a minute or two and very lightly roll over the previous area to smooth out the bubbles. You can just keep doing this for several minutes until you get a "mostly" flat surface. And then JUST LEAVE IT ALONE!! It will flatten out on it's own!!

Wait an hour or so and remove the tape...careful not to let it fall back on the white gelcoat. The yard said they would wait at least 24 hours before putting it in the straps.....then 3.5 hours drive home....I'm tired....