Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Home Port: Zarcero
Default Bottom Paint

I'm going to haul out soon and paint the bottom. This is the first boat I've owned in 20 years and paints have changed.

An experienced boat builder/marine surveyor I know says that the new ablative paints are just a marketing ploy to sell more expensive paints. He recommends the traditional hard bottom paints.

I respect his experience, but would like to hear other opinions.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I think ablative paints are very good providing you sail a lot. Sitting in a marina is not where ablative paints belong. The problem with modern paints (as far as their power to deter growth) is what is no longer permitted to be used. Tributyl tin is outlawed, some once available chemicals are now only allowed to be painted onto 500+ ton ships.

I don't want to advocate using environmentally sensitive agents, but some of the paints available in third world countries, still contain powerful agents. For example Singapore Red is still available in some places, some of the Malaysian paints made by Jotun are simply amazing in their effectiveness...but they may not be sympathetic to the environment.

The big names are expensive and may or may not last longer, especially in tropical water. But there are many cheap paints which may cost only 50% of the dear brands, yet may be up to 85% as long lasting.

Not much of this will be of real benefit. But buy what you will; preparation is vital..smooth is good.
Keep us informed.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Zarcero

I went with the hard paint. I used West Marine Bottom Shield. Two gallons got me almost 4 coats.

I also got some useful advice on frozen sea cocks. Plug the outlet and fill with acetone and ATF (automatic transmission fluid). I let it sit over night. I still had to apply some heat, but it worked like a charm and now the valve works like new.