Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to Robinsvoyage
Thumbs down

So last season I was having thoughts that the s/v Bligh's current tiller would only make one more season, and then I'd have to be in search of a replacement.. problem is I don't think that several four strips of hardwood, laminated, bent, and stained is worth 200 dollars.. it's not ebony we're talking about! So my friend, who is very good with wood, and has built a beautiful 18' Greenland style sea kayak (not to mention countless things for his home) said he was up for the job... He already had some of the raw materials, and only primative tools.. but here's where he's at so far.. nearly finished and only needing to stain it...

I think it looks damn good considering it's only cost him about $27! (and twenty hours or so...lol)

Robin

Old 05-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Looks great Robin - well done!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
Commander

Here's the finished product.. the lighter area has a story behind it.. I'll explain later.

The finished tiller.

Brian has finally got it finished.. we'll have to modify the autotiller's connection now as the shape's a bit different, but that's an easy job.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
Commander

Old 05-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
Ensign

drool that looks great what was used to boand the strips togther and would it be something a novist could do? How was it clamped? would he make another at a reasonable price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Looks great Robin - well done!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:07 AM   #6
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAFERTOYS View Post
drool that looks great what was used to boand the strips togther and would it be something a novist could do? How was it clamped? would he make another at a reasonable price?
He used epoxy.. 8 c clamps... and yes, he'd make you one for only $50 which would cover his expenses and give him a small incentive to make more.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinsvoyage View Post
He used epoxy.. 8 c clamps... and yes, he'd make you one for only $50 which would cover his expenses and give him a small incentive to make more.
sold and for more of an incentive have him check ebay I bet he could sell as many as he would want to make.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAFERTOYS View Post
sold and for more of an incentive have him check ebay I bet he could sell as many as he would want to make.
If you're serious, just get him the specs. I'm sure he could do that for you in JUne. I've been trying coax him into doing something like this as he really has a serius entrepreneurial spirit and is an absolute natural working with any kind of wood. He built a greenland style sea kayak years ago, which honestly you wouldn't know came from someone who hadn't been making them for 30 years. I told him he has to "brand" his things (like the tiller) so when people as me where I got them I can point to the name and let them know. It would be good for him and his family... he needs to get out of trucking... it's killing his soul.

You can reach him at briancall@ymail.com.