Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-10-2007, 12:34 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Ok, I had been out pressure washing the gunk off the boat and the yard manager told me to go down to the local dollar store and buy something called "SnoBol". Its a toilet cleaner. This stuff has to be seen to be believed.

Was $1.50 a quart. I used one quart on the deck of my 44ftr. You pour it on, brush it around, let it sit, brush it again, then rinse. "Amazing" is the proper description of the results. saved me hours upon hours. Also works on shore power cords, gunked up hoses, and old fenders.

Try it or a similar product. Contains about 15% Hydrochloric Acid so wear eye protection, gloves, shoes and don't splash it on your skin or you'll get a certain 'tingling' sensation hehehe. They've used it here at the yard on all kinds of paint but bottom paint (rinse it off if your on the hard and it runs down onto your bottom heheh). Safe on fibreglass, and my boats epoxy covered steel. it also cleaned up my aluminum and stainless.

great stuff and cheap

seer

Old 12-10-2007, 02:29 AM   #2
Admiral

Hi Seer,

Thanks for the reminder, good chemical - needs special handling !

In South East Asia marketed under brand name "VIXOL"

Contains:-

Hydrochloric acid --------------20% (W/W)

Ethoxylated Nonylphenol --- 0.70% (W/W)

Safety[/b][/u]

Requires a Dangerous goods label

Dangerous goods label for hydrochloric acid also known under its old name : Muriatic acid

: a corrosive Dangerous goods label for hydrochloric acid required : corrosive

Hydrochloric acid in high concentrations forms acidic mists. Both the mist and the solution have a corrosive effect on human tissue, potentially damaging respiratory organs, eyes, skin and intestines. Upon mixing hydrochloric acid with common oxidizing chemicals, such as bleach (NaClO) or permanganate (KMnO4), the toxic gas chlorine is produced. To minimize the risks while working with hydrochloric acid, appropriate precautions should be taken, including wearing rubber or PVC gloves, protective eye goggles, and chemical resistant clothing. Do not breathe fumes !!!!

The hazards of solutions of hydrochloric acid depend on the concentration. The following table lists the EU classification of hydrochloric acid solutions:

Concentration

by weight Classification R-Phrases

10%–25% Irritant (Xi) R36/37/38

>25% Corrosive © R34 R37

The Environmental Protection Agency rates and regulates hydrochloric acid as a toxin.

Suggestion :

If using on a hull - once you have completed wash with solutions of hydrochloric acid ,

rinse hull several times with fresh water, then rinse with a mild alkali solution - eg..bicarbonate of soda.

-----

Here is an example of cleaning rust off engine mounts that were rusted by seawater - using

20% hydrochloric acid.

Before :-

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0044.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	274

The one on the right is the cleaned up mount shown above :

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0048.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	39.5 KB