Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Ballina
Vessel Name: Rondo III
Exclamation Grating substitute

I've just found a fantastic product on a building site. It is a sort of open honeycomb sheet, used to put against retaining walls to allow the water to run down the wall into a drain.

It makes for an ideal grating in any deck locker which has drains in the bottom. It stops the drains being blocked by the contents and keeps the contents clear of the bottom of the locker.

Called Versicell and supplied in 500mm squares which link up with each other. Easy to cut and fit into odd spaces. Strong enough in compression to happily deal with point loads from, for example, a full gas bottle. About 20mm thick.

It has solved my awkward problem of making sure a particularly locker under the cockpit drains freely - great feeling. I should say that I've no connection with the manufacturer - just think some of you guys might find it as useful as I have.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Always, we are happy to learn of a product which makes sense no matter what its original purpose was. I use something similar in my cockpit. It is an open grating style of compressed foam which interlocks in 18" squares and was originally designed for wet workspace floors, such as behind bars.
Keep 'em coming!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:17 PM   #3
Commander

Home Port: Royston

Pieces cut out of the sides of bakery trays, shopping carts, plastic milk cartons, etc., do the same thing.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:16 AM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: Ballina
Vessel Name: Rondo III

Aye, that's a thought - but with my skills this works out neater and with really good flow